M Coleman "High on 4 Man Pass Rush"

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Whenever I read an article like this, I am reminded that it isn't just Tech that could improve. Our opponents this year have a lot coming back on D and are working every bit as hard as we are to get better.

Most of the people mentioned have very limited game experience. That means they could be diamonds in the rough or young men who need a year on the field to be really good. We'll see pretty soon. I hope Marco is right, but …

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
....it's better to dampen our enthusiasm so that we don't get our hearts broken?
Or
...it's better to voice doubt so that we don't look stupid?

Not trying to be overly snarky here. I honestly don't know what I should end the "but..." with.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did he say something like this last year? If not, it seems most likely he is seeing a better pass rush than he has before. Granted, given our near total lack of a pass rush for umpteen years, they could be better and still not qualify as really good. But still, it's preseason. The time to be hopeful. To my mind, getting a pass rush without blitzing is the most important thing we could do to improve our defense. So I'm gonna be happy to hear it and leave it at that.

Link

"... Coleman expressed his confidence in the ability for the Tech defense to generate pass-rush pressure relying only on four defensive linemen and not needing blitz help."

If this holds up and is truly doable, what a big help this will be to the road to a better defense and to more wins.
Hey if so great...but how do you determine this after one day in pads? Or does it mean our O-line sucks...... Let's see it and hope we get it 9/4....

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As we all know, the single digit number is supposed to signify a leader within the team. With that in mind, TK's recent change to number 5, we could start 4 single digit across the DL. White (6), TK (5), Brooks (0), Clayton (9). Personally, I think this is a big reason for optimism. Can't wait for 9/4!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Did any of you listen to his press conference? The quote in the heading of the OP mischaracterizes or takes out context what he said. He also talked about blitz packages they were installing. It's clear he sees improvement in the front 4, but to construe that sentiment as saying he intends to rely solely on a 4 man rush is simply the wrong takeaway.

I didn't click on the link since I assumed it was from the AJC, which explains everything.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
....it's better to dampen our enthusiasm so that we don't get our hearts broken?
Or
...it's better to voice doubt so that we don't look stupid?

Not trying to be overly snarky here. I honestly don't know what I should end the "but..." with.
Or the option you didn't include: that I don't know if Marco is right or not. It doesn't have anything to do with dampening enthusiasm or not looking stupid. What it means is that I've been watching Tech football for over 45 years and I've heard similar things from Tech coaches before. Sometimes their predictions work out, sometimes they don't. The prediction that I think has the most support is that usually the coaches don't know one way or the other until the season starts and we meet actual opponents. That's what I always look at, not either hype or doom and gloom before hand.

My favorite example = 2014. We loose our returning successful QB, most of the prospective starters on DL, several OLs, and assorted others to either transfer or career ending injury. Paul thought we'd do ok, but most of the press and most of the fans (me included)) thought we were in big trouble. And we roll. After that I remembered to take pre-season stories with a boulder of salt.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I misread "awbuzz" posting, but I did not read it as relying solely on 4 man pass rush, I read it as being able to get effective pass rush with only 4 defensive linemen, I came away from the interview believing we will do both, 4 man and blitz.
Something tells me GT is going to have a good defense this year, Collins has had them at MSt. and Gainesville in the past. My only concern at this point is will we be strong enough with the two inside DL guys, think SDE and WDE are both in really good shape and I may and hope my "inside guys concern" is wrong. Maybe a better idea in about 5 weeks.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I certainly hope this is true it would be awesome but I would never expect any position coach to say his guys will need help. I see it as more of a motivation statement, to his guys, rather than saying he thinks they will need LB and Safety help

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Or the option you didn't include: that I don't know if Marco is right or not. It doesn't have anything to do with dampening enthusiasm or not looking stupid. What it means is that I've been watching Tech football for over 45 years and I've heard similar things from Tech coaches before. Sometimes their predictions work out, sometimes they don't. The prediction that I think has the most support is that usually the coaches don't know one way or the other until the season starts and we meet actual opponents. That's what I always look at, not either hype or doom and gloom before hand.

My favorite example = 2014. We loose our returning successful QB, most of the prospective starters on DL, several OLs, and assorted others to either transfer or career ending injury. Paul thought we'd do ok, but most of the press and most of the fans (me included)) thought we were in big trouble. And we roll. After that I remembered to take pre-season stories with a boulder of salt.

Fair enough, but what would we expect him to say? "My guys are toast. Seriously, I doubt they could stop a sneeze if they needed to. I'm just trying to get a paycheck for as long as I can." :)

Even if they knew it was bad we wouldn't want them to say it just to help the fans decide how excited to get. So they use coach speak, they overstate and they do everything they can to get their guys to believe in themselves. Of course, we won't know till we know. And of course, it's unlikely that our front four has suddenly become all-nation. But I do think that they will get better because it would be kind of hard for them to be worse than last year. :)

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow

Remember the 14 GSU game? Sheesh. I wrote that team off early in the 4th quarter of that game. Proved me wrong. Even during the early parts of the season it can be hard for anyone to know how a team will finish.

I'll always remember that first game we lost against BC in Joe Hams 98 season as well. I knew we were good that year but not 10-2 good. In retrospect, it really sucks we lost that game, but I digress...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough, but what would we expect him to say? "My guys are toast. Seriously, I doubt they could stop a sneeze if they needed to. I'm just trying to get a paycheck for as long as I can." :)

Even if they knew it was bad we wouldn't want them to say it just to help the fans decide how excited to get. So they use coach speak, they overstate and they do everything they can to get their guys to believe in themselves. Of course, we won't know till we know. And of course, it's unlikely that our front four has suddenly become all-nation. But I do think that they will get better because it would be kind of hard for them to be worse than last year. :)
Yes, you're right. I know that coaches always try to talk up their charges's prospects before every season. That's one of the things I think any long standing fan should both be aware of and discount.

And, like I said, it could be that every word of praise is true. I hope it is. But I wouldn't take any heavy bets on it until we've played a game or two.