Last Series on O

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I think that I have read all the posts since the end of the Clempson game and I have a question about something that I did not see addressed:

Where was Tim Byerly in the 4th Q?

I was really surprised to see 1st team players on that last series.
So was I. At least Byerly and the second line ABacks. It's 28 - 6 and six minutes left.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was surprised to see Days in on the last drive since you mention it. I guess CPJ didn't want this one to get away at all and keep the momentum through the end of the game rather than not getting first downs and maybe a trash time TD by Clemson. And we do have two weeks to the next game. But I'd still rather not risk injury....... what happened to Snoddy and Watson was an example of just strange stuff that can happen.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think it was gonna be straight gives to the Bback no matter who was in so why put in Byerly just to hand off? JT wasn't really at any risk to do that.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
So was I. At least Byerly and the second line ABacks. It's 28 - 6 and six minutes left.
I wanted to see Byerly then also but accepted that to get another couple of minutes off the clock. I thought 4 minute mark and getting a first down would have been perfect spot to give Byerly snaps. He could be playing for a lot of teams. Don't see a real drop off with him. Will remember what he did against Duke to get us within an onside kick of being able to win that game. He should be the QB 2 point conversion director.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think that CPJ would be going for style points. We have left garbage-time touchdowns on the field in the last few games (what a great feeling!) so I would assume that he is above that. It just seemed odd.

As to the Senior Day issue, I would think that getting Conners some carries would have been better than risking Days. We still have some games we want to win.

On a related note, St. Richt playing Gurley so he could be Booby Miles-ed; that was beyond stupid. I thought that leaving Murray in after he appeared to be injured in last year's Kentucky game (a couple of plays before he was injured) was an anomaly - maybe not. I hope that this new playoff committee/format does not start a resurgence of a margin-of-win arms race that will lead to kids getting hurt in games that are effectively over. Football will have enough problems in the future without that.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
Aside from the 11 CPJ put onto the field on this drive, it was an impressive march down the field to kill the last 6+ minutes of the game. All setup by an crushing sack by our D to force a 4th and 20+. Seeing Connor get a few runs would have been appropriate, though.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Combined with the Senior Day theory, I think also CPJ saw it as a good opportunity to practice running base plays against a great defense.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
On a related note, St. Richt playing Gurley so he could be Booby Miles-ed; that was beyond stupid. I thought that leaving Murray in after he appeared to be injured in last year's Kentucky game (a couple of plays before he was injured) was an anomaly - maybe not. I hope that this new playoff committee/format does not start a resurgence of a margin-of-win arms race that will lead to kids getting hurt in games that are effectively over. Football will have enough problems in the future without that.

Just further proof that richt has absolutely no control over his players

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Remember last week coach had Byerly in the game in the 3rd qtr. The seconds played the entire 4th qtr on offense.

I just believe taking Thomas and Days out would have been the better call. But it worked out, so I guess I am beating a dead horse.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It would have been a perfect time to just let Byerly run three straight keepers, i bet money he would've gotten a first down

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I am totally OK with leaving in the first string to close out this game against a rival. Historically, have there been any crazy endings to GT vs. Clemson games...?

They are a top team and capable of scoring fast. Can you imagine if we punt with 4 minutes to go? They would have scored (bank it) and tried an on-sides kick with 2:30 to go. All of a sudden we are getting uncomfortable.

I would much rather we deflate the ball and run the clock.

/

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
I am totally OK with leaving in the first string to close out this game against a rival. Historically, have there been any crazy endings to GT vs. Clemson games...?

They are a top team and capable of scoring fast. Can you imagine if we punt with 4 minutes to go? They would have scored (bank it) and tried an on-sides kick with 2:30 to go. All of a sudden we are getting uncomfortable.

I would much rather we deflate the ball and run the clock.

/

The running out of the clock was a thing of beauty! Squeezing in Connor near the end (< 2:00 left ) and on their side of the 50 would not likely have changed that close out drive.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The running out of the clock was a thing of beauty! Squeezing in Connor near the end (< 2:00 left ) and on their side of the 50 would not likely have changed that close out drive.

We should've run a speed option to Connors after they called time out with 1 sec left. That's what Les Miles would've done