Lack of QB Progression

How much should Matthew Jordan play against Miami?

• No at all unless JT is hurt.

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Once we are 3 or 4 scores down or up.

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • After the first few series.

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • MJ should start.

Votes: 17 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The only thing JN had over JT (in the throwing department) was arm strength, and even that wasn't a wide margin. I almost can't believe some of the stuff I am reading. The only guy we have had who is even close to JT as a passer was VL. JT has a quick release and makes accurate throws when he isn't SPRINTING away from people losing ground from the LOS. If you give JT just a bit of time and receivers who get him any separation, he will get the ball there.

I agree. Vad threw the deep ball much better than Justin does but Justin has a quicker release and may have better touch on the short and intermediate routes.

Considering the success that Vad was having at JMU this year before he got hurt, there's no doubt the kid has arm talent. But Justin is a better fit for this offense.

I will say this though...Nesbitt had one big advantage over both Vad and Justin. He could sometimes take a hit, shrug it off and still get the pass off. Justin has escapability but doesn't have Josh's size to shrug off some of those hits.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Praise wasn't the right word. However, if my point was lost on you due to usage of that word then there's no point explaining myself. It seemed (to me) last year that JTs height was somewhat of an advantage because it was hard to find the ball. Maybe that seems crazy now, but it didn't then. Jesus I'm not praising his genetic pool for making him short, come on man that wasn't the point anyway.
Lighten up a bit. It's not personal and let's not make it that. Lord knows there isn't much to laugh about this year anyway.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, :LOL::LOL::LOL:

But I get what you are saying I think. Something like Vad had the talent but for whatever reason it didn't show through at GT. Here are his last year GT passing stats by game (not great). But at JMU he was one of the best in D2 ..........
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/255/1039471/passing/gamelog.html.

I don't doubt that Vad Lee was a very good QB for JMU, but being D2 the competition was not nearly what he faced at Tech. I don't think there is a fair way to compare a D2 QB to one playing D1.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't doubt that Vad Lee was a very good QB for JMU, but being D2 the competition was not nearly what he faced at Tech. I don't think there is a fair way to compare a D2 QB to one playing D1.

I agree that D2 is a lot easier. But I think it does show Vad has talent throwing as he was one of the best in D2.

Another example of D1 QB (backup) who did a lot better in the easier D2 - Jaybo.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Was he given a proper chance to develop into a Div 1 passer? From every account I've read Vad has/had the physical tools as a passer he just has a gun slinger mentality. He throws a lot of bad passes which in CPJ's offense can ill afford. He's deep ball was the best I've seen at GT since Joe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Was he given a proper chance to develop into a Div 1 passer? From every account I've read Vad has/had the physical tools as a passer he just has a gun slinger mentality. He throws a lot of bad passes which in CPJ's offense can ill afford. He's deep ball was the best I've seen at GT since Joe.
Maybe, but I hope you're not counting that miracle chunk against UNC when Robbie Godhigh made the most remarkable catch of a football I have ever seen, including those one-handed jobs so much the rage on the internet. Surrounded by three defenders, all at least six inches taller, running full tilt, to launch himself and turn in the air to catch an uncatchable ball inside the five and sail all the way into the end zone. I still watch it occasionally just to remind myself that relentless pursuit can result in improbable results and the resolve to compete trumps all. Gives me goosebumps.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I agree that D2 is a lot easier. But I think it does show Vad has talent throwing as he was one of the best in D2.

Another example of D1 QB (backup) who did a lot better in the easier D2 - Jaybo.

JMU is not a D2 program. Georgia Southern wasn't D2 either. Your point still stands.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Last year's Oline played better than any of JNs also.....but thinking about that gives me a headache. I still say look at film of both throwing. JT throws a better ball.