Kirby to TA&M????

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, this popped up on my bookface feed this morning. I've never heard of "Chill Sports" and would not be surprised if this is just click-bait. Would the Aggies make Kirby an offer that he can't refuse?

kirby.jpg

slugboy

Staff member
Appears that Pete Thamel reportedly doesn't think so....

Whittingham has been HC at Utah for almost 20 years, and he was the DC for 10 before that. He took over for Urban Meyer, when he left for Florida. He’s 64 years old, and Utah loves him. He’s already set for life.

If I were him, I’d only leave for a pro job. And maybe not even then.

Could it happen? Sure, but why?

There have also been Ryan Day and Kiffin and Dan Lanning rumors, but those have been shot down.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Say what you will about an aim starting out for life. The Oregon St coach just took the Michigan State job. Is that place really more secure than osu where he was getting them rolling?

slugboy

Staff member

Looking like it:

I think they had a “why don’t we ask their agent?” list, where they called Saban’s/Day’s/Lanning’s/Smart’s agents just to see if it’s possible. Then, a few people on the A-list, where Elko was probably not at the top.

If Elko said no, they were probably on to the B-list.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
A little concerned that Brent Key's agent is on somebody's call list. Hoping(praying/sacrifice a chicken etc.) that he's as bought-in as he seems, but you know he's attracted some attention this year!
I honestly think the only 2 jobs Key would ever leave Tech on his own accord for would be Alabama or the NFL. He’s close to home, at his alma mater, he’s raised his family here for the past 5 years, and he obviously fits in with the culture here. Football wise he’s dead center of a fertile recruiting ground, decent fan support (with more on the way if he starts winning more), and very manageable expectations. If Key can average 8 wins a year here he’ll go down as an all time great. A single season of 8 wins is enough to get you run off at a lot of places. Contrary to TFG this is actually CBK’s dream job, and I don’t think he’s leaving unless Tech tells him to.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Elko’s incentives are insane. By no means is $7M salary chump change, but it’s probably the most incentive-based contract in college football.

$10.5M bonus is he wins a Natty based on hitting all five tranches that start with $1M to make the 12 team CFP.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Kirby won’t have the best players at A&M. It’s sick at the talent Georgia gets. The old ball coach said there’s not a team in the history of sports that’s wasted more talent than the Bullpups…very true before Kirby showed up.