Keys to Victory

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
So what do you all feel we need to do to get a W up in South Bend on Saturday?

I think on offense we just have to continue to do what we've been doing. If a wrinkle is added offensively and it works that would be awesome. But I feel if we come out a little crisper to start the game and maintain that throughout we could run the exact same plays we ran again Tulane and still get the victory.

On defense we have to stop their running back CJ Prosise. He's played very well and could be a key to getting their new QB comfortable and into a rhythm. We also looked a little iffy in our coverage over the middle of the field in those short/intermediate passing routes. If we can stop Prosise and sure up the middle in pass coverage we will all be very happy when the play clock shows all zeros.

UDEFEATED!!!!!!

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
stop their run game, but defend the deep ball well.

Offensively, execute open-field blocks and hold on to the ball.

If we do those 4 things we win by a lot.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Control the tempo of the game. Making sure like always we continue to win the TOP battle as well. Limit penalties and turn overs, keep our mouths shut and win this game! A wrinkle would be a nice addition as mentioned earlier, but I feel if we stick to our bread and butter and rely on our QB to play his type of game, this will be our for the taking.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Score one more point than ND.:cool:

Turnovers may decide things. Looks to be a heckuva game. I may be less optimistic than some of yall. ND will likely have their best game to date vs us Saturday. TX is likely a putrid team and the UVA scare was a learning moment for them. I think we are the better team over all but that doesn't guarantee a W.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Offense, we need more production from the BBack than against Tulane. One of the "problems" with the QB and AB runs is that there is a lot of horizontal running that gives opportunities for the defense to get negative yard plays. And while our WRs and Abs have done pretty well in blocking, we don't know how they will handle better competition, and so we need to be able to take some pressure off with the Bback.

Also, I don't think ToP is that big a deal, at least in the first half. We have a very experienced OL and QB while they have an inexperienced QB. Early on I think we need some home runs to make their QB feel like he'll need to put up 50 to beat us. Make it a high possession game, at least for a while, while still scoring. Hopefully he makes some mistakes, we get a 2 td+ lead, then we can sit, take the pressure off us by grinding it out with safer plays, while keeping them in catchup mode trying to force more possessions by having quick ones of their own.

Defensively I think we need to focus on stopping the run putting the pressure on their new QB. Early we should also play to not give up big plays. Once we notice their QB feeling the pressure to score some, change it up and go aggressive trying to force a turnover. Once we get a lead, revert back to not giving up big plays, forcing ND to take 10+ plays to drive, hopefully compounding the pressure and leading to mistakes that put the game away.

And obviously the usual no turn overs, penalties, etc etc.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Neither defense has been tested, so this will be the thing I am watching. For ND, they have a history of not knowing who to tackle when playing TO teams. If the option is working, ND will give up a ton of yards. On the other side , it will be crucial for us to get pressure on Kizer to force him to make quicker decisions outside his comfort zone. The Irish receivers are much better than the groups we faced in weeks 1 & 2, so we cannot give them time to get open.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Stop the run, make the QB beat us.

Was coming to post this exactly. I'll add that we have to play 'clean'. No dumb penalties. We know the zebras won't be Tech-friendly as it is so don't give them any more than they're already gonna take.