Article on Brent Key

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Key said the Jackets had been practicing, lightly, two times a week before Collins’ dismissal. But on that first Tuesday of Key’s interim tenure, Tech worked out for 2-1/2 hours in full pads. The Jackets would continue to train similarly all week before playing at No. 24 Pittsburgh that Saturday.

Tech won that game 26-21.

“All I cared about is that we had five days to build some physicality and toughness into our football team — and some discipline,” Key said.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of amazing stuff in there. Not to rehash old items, but this still blows me away:

Key said the Jackets had been practicing, lightly, two times a week before Collins’ dismissal. But on that first Tuesday of Key’s interim tenure, Tech worked out for 2-1/2 hours in full pads. The Jackets would continue to train similarly all week before playing at No. 24 Pittsburgh that Saturday.
If true, hard to believe that the then-coach's job was on the hot seat, and they were still only having the team practice "lightly, two times a week".

I also appreciated this bit, addressing the team on Day 0 as interim head coach:

‘The first thing I want you to understand is I am you, you are me. I’ve walked in the same shoes you have. I know what you go through every day. I know what it’s like to go to Scheller and take a test in accounting.

“Y’all can sit around and feel sorry for yourselves and that’s what you’re gonna be known as. You’re talking about defining a season? You have a chance to define who you are individually right now. Plain and simple. So you wanna be a bunch of losers or not? But the first thing we have to figure out what to do is to stop losing. Y’all have zero confidence in yourself. There’s no competitive nature to you. I don’t know how to change it. But we’re going to tomorrow at 9 o’clock in the morning.’ "
That tone and attitude says a lot, and sounds like one of the reasons this team would ultimately run through a wall if Coach Key asked them to. Hell, I'd run through a wall if he asked me to, just having read a statement like that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Lots of amazing stuff in there. Not to rehash old items, but this still blows me away:

If true, hard to believe that the then-coach's job was on the hot seat, and they were still only having the team practice "lightly, two times a week".

I also appreciated this bit, addressing the team on Day 0 as interim head coach:

That tone and attitude says a lot, and sounds like one of the reasons this team would ultimately run through a wall if Coach Key asked them to. Hell, I'd run through a wall if he asked me to, just having read a statement like that.
It seems that all TFG wanted was his cushy buyout. I wonder if Mack will let him practice his D two days/week this fall?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
About Key tenure so far I say this:

1. So far so good. I don't know what the ceiling is, but there are plenty of reasons for at least cautious optimism.

2. One thing he has succeeded in doing is making us noticeably more physical. We play hard and we never quit. We do appear to be making progress both setting a standard/and creating an identity. More work to be done.

3. So far most hires appear to be working out. O and OC are productive. OL is more mature and playing well. STs still need work but at least we now make FGs and don't get punts blocked. DC staff we will just have to wait and see. On paper the chops are there. HS liaisons & recruiting staff, as well recruiting of coaches has our recruiting trending up. We seem to do well in the portal.

Key gets Tech. He gets what Tech can do for you and why it's an amazing place. He can communicate that authentically because he personally lived it, and because he's passionate about seeing young men benefit similarly. He seems to know what qualities both staff and players need to thrive at GT. He was high level here as a student, and as a 4-year starter. And he is passionate about seeing other young men benefit in a similar way. It's intrinsically rewarding to him and it just shows.

Now look. There will be bumps in the road, disappointing losses, and plenty of challenges. But you know what? It sure looks like we'll field a tough, disciplined bunch that will play smart, coach smart, and fight you to the death. That's how you consistently punch above your weight. I can always watch that and be proud.

And I think it gives us the chance to have some pretty special seasons. I do enjoy seeing a bunch of gritty sons-of-a-biscuits going hard and kicking arse on and off the field. It just feels like Tech should always be at least this. Go Jackets!

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
About Key tenure so far I say this:

1. So far so good. I don't know what the ceiling is, but there are plenty of reasons for at least cautious optimism.

2. One thing he has succeeded in doing is making us noticeably more physical. We play hard and we never quit. We do appear to be making progress both setting a standard/and creating an identity. More work to be done.

3. So far most hires appear to be working out. O and OC are productive. OL is more mature and playing well. STs still need work but at least we now make FGs and don't get punts blocked. DC staff we will just have to wait and see. On paper the chops are there. HS liaisons & recruiting staff, as well recruiting of coaches has our recruiting trending up. We seem to do well in the portal.

Key gets Tech. He gets what Tech can do for you and why it's an amazing place. He can communicate that authentically because he personally lived it, and because he's passionate about seeing young men benefit similarly. He seems to know what qualities both staff and players need to thrive at GT. He was high level here as a student, and as a 4-year starter. And he is passionate about seeing other young men benefit in a similar way. It's intrinsically rewarding to him and it just shows.

Now look. There will be bumps in the road, disappointing losses, and plenty of challenges. But you know what? It sure looks like we'll field a tough, disciplined bunch that will play smart, coach smart, and fight you to the death. That's how you consistently punch above your weight. I can always watch that and be proud.

And I think it gives us the chance to have some pretty special seasons. I do enjoy seeing a bunch of gritty sons-of-a-biscuits going hard and kicking arse on and off the field. It just feels like Tech should always be at least this. Go Jackets!
I'm super optimistic about Key and truly believe he will end up being a Mike Gundy-like figure at Tech. Gundy played for Ok St, got his start coaching for OSU, and now has been their HC for almost 20 years. And while they aren't perennial title contenders they are a consistent bowl team and top-25 team, they are looking for 10 wins every year, and every few years they will have a shot at the playoffs. Key lives and breathes GT football, and I think he will be successful and here for the long haul.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm super optimistic about Key and truly believe he will end up being a Mike Gundy-like figure at Tech. Gundy played for Ok St, got his start coaching for OSU, and now has been their HC for almost 20 years. And while they aren't perennial title contenders they are a consistent bowl team and top-25 team, they are looking for 10 wins every year, and every few years they will have a shot at the playoffs. Key lives and breathes GT football, and I think he will be successful and here for the long haul.
I agree with the above. I’ll add that I really don’t think CBK wants to be anywhere else. First HC since Dodd that I can wholeheartedly say that about, though perhaps CPJ was as well, for different reasons.

Carson, I think would have rode the elevator up if he could have.
Fulchet, IMO, never really wanted to be a HBC.
Rodgers seemed to love GT, but never really connected for some reason.
Curry left for Bama. Always thought Dodd advised him to go.
Ross left for the NFL.
L**** would have moved on had he been successful, IMPO.
GOL wanted ND.
Gailey was an NFL coach at heart.
Johnson… he wanted a place that his O could thrive in big-boy football. GT was probably it, so he stayed until he retired.
TFG… never got Tech, never really wanted to, IMPO.
CBK gets Tech like no one. Since Curry, but seems to want to stay.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the above. I’ll add that I really don’t think CBK wants to be anywhere else. First HC since Dodd that I can wholeheartedly say that about, though perhaps CPJ was as well, for different reasons.

Carson, I think would have rode the elevator up if he could have.
Fulchet, IMO, never really wanted to be a HBC.
Rodgers seemed to love GT, but never really connected for some reason.
Curry left for Bama. Always thought Dodd advised him to go.
Ross left for the NFL.
L**** would have moved on had he been successful, IMPO.
GOL wanted ND.
Gailey was an NFL coach at heart.
Johnson… he wanted a place that his O could thrive in big-boy football. GT was probably it, so he stayed until he retired.
TFG… never got Tech, never really wanted to, IMPO.
CBK gets Tech like no one. Since Curry, but seems to want to stay.
Since you drew the correlation to Curry (and him likely being advised to move on)... I hope Key has his choice of jobs at some point in his future. I also hope he catches lightning in a bottle at Tech before anyone can get in his ear and tell him he has done all that he can do here. I won't complain a lick if he builds us into a perennial 9+ win program, but if we are consistently top 25 without ever really getting a crack at the playoff, you know he will have other offers and you know he will have plenty of people (and a whole bunch of dead presidents) advising him to take those offers...

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect to Gundy, but Key doesn't wanna be a 10 win team perennially. He wants it all