James from Atlanta

bytheway

Georgia Tech Fan
*Puts on flamesuit*

Louisville fan here just to do a welfare check on one of your fans. For years we had a caller into local radio who went by James from Atlanta. He was a huge GT fan and was actually a great caller as odd as it is to get an out-of-town fan calling in to a different market's local team radio shows. He suddenly disappeared and has never called back. My last recollection was he was going to drive his RV up here to tailgate and he was never heard from again - maybe 2 years ago? Does this guy sound familiar? Or could you point me in the right direction of someone who might know?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Oh My God Omg GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
*Puts on flamesuit*

Louisville fan here just to do a welfare check on one of your fans. For years we had a caller into local radio who went by James from Atlanta. He was a huge GT fan and was actually a great caller as odd as it is to get an out-of-town fan calling in to a different market's local team radio shows. He suddenly disappeared and has never called back. My last recollection was he was going to drive his RV up here to tailgate and he was never heard from again - maybe 2 years ago? Does this guy sound familiar? Or could you point me in the right direction of someone who might know?
Don't know James from Atlanta but hope you can solve this mystery. Looking forward to a good game Saturday.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
*Puts on flamesuit*

mr narrins GIF

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
*Puts on flamesuit*

I don't know anything about this guy but I hope he's okay.

Hope our two teams have a good game Saturday! Y'all have a mighty fine football team.

T-Bone Burdell

Jolly Good Fellow
*Puts on flamesuit*

RV went off Monteagle.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I thought I was going to die one night coming down, heading north. It was foggy and suddenly I couldn't see the end of the hood of the U-haul I was driving. I knew if I couldn't see the end of the hood the tractor-trailers behind me couldn't see me. Never been more scared to this day.
It's a white-knuckle ride when there's ice on Monteagle. The runaway truck ramps are somewhat disquieting even in good weather. Saw a car parked right smack in the middle of one. Not wise...

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
It's a white-knuckle ride when there's ice on Monteagle. The runaway truck ramps are somewhat disquieting even in good weather. Saw a car parked right smack in the middle of one. Not wise...
I took the train I visited my brother in Nashville in the summer of 1967. He drove us back home to southwest Georgia in his 1957 Chevy Bel Air. The brakes failed when we were on Monteagle Mountain and we had to take a runaway ramp to stop it. Since he was a student at the Nashville diesel school, he patched up the brake line and we continued south. Just like Johnny cash said. https://www.google.com/search?clien...ate=ive&vld=cid:70de1c32,vid:43KiXbXAxRI,st:0

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I took the train I visited my brother in Nashville in the summer of 1967. He drove us back home to southwest Georgia in his 1957 Chevy Bel Air. The brakes failed when we were on Monteagle Mountain and we had to take a runaway ramp to stop it. Since he was a student at the Nashville diesel school, he patched up the brake line and we continued south. Just like Johnny cash said. https://www.google.com/search?clien...ate=ive&vld=cid:70de1c32,vid:43KiXbXAxRI,st:0
Were you maybe on US 41 going over Monteagle? I don't remember exactly when I-24 was finished going over the mountain. I travelled often in the '60s with family to Nashville and on old 41 my dad would invariably point out the traces of the old, old road he had to take on the bus over Monteagle when he was a kid in the 30's even before 41 was finished. He would show us where it crossed the highway, disappeared around a bend through the trees, and came back across the highway shortly thereafter as it wound back and forth around the mountain. He claimed it took 12 hours to go from Chattanooga to Nashville, but he was prone to exaggerate. Times long gone...

Thanks for the Johnny Cash link. I'd forgotten about that song.

bytheway

Georgia Tech Fan
To update here, it was 2018 the last he was heard from. I thought it was 2-3 years ago but apparently it was 6 now. After he no-showed for the GT@LOU game, we at least expected to hear back from him to take a victory lap after rushing for 8 TDs against us. I figured he would surface eventually but nothing. Thought maybe I could track him down.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Were you maybe on US 41 going over Monteagle? I don't remember exactly when I-24 was finished going over the mountain. I travelled often in the '60s with family to Nashville and on old 41 my dad would invariably point out the traces of the old, old road he had to take on the bus over Monteagle when he was a kid in the 30's even before 41 was finished. He would show us where it crossed the highway, disappeared around a bend through the trees, and came back across the highway shortly thereafter as it wound back and forth around the mountain. He claimed it took 12 hours to go from Chattanooga to Nashville, but he was prone to exaggerate. Times long gone...

We were definitely on the 2 lane US 41.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
To update here, it was 2018 the last he was heard from. I thought it was 2-3 years ago but apparently it was 6 now. After he no-showed for the GT@LOU game, we at least expected to hear back from him to take a victory lap after rushing for 8 TDs against us. I figured he would surface eventually but nothing. Thought maybe I could track him down.
In 2018, Paul Johnson was HBC and we had a clue putting up all those rushing TD’s on L’ville.

Then TFG hit town, we lost to the Citadel, and TFG blamed CPJ’s players. Most of them checked out as did many fans. Perhaps your missing buddy did as well.

The worm is turning back now so maybe he’ll resurface.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I drove I24 from Nashville to Atlanta as a student. It was definitely there in 1965. I have been on that Monteagle section in a snow storm. Very scary but its better than I40 between TN and NC. Parts of I75 in north Georgia were not completed back then. It took years to finish I75 in north Georgia.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I drove I24 from Nashville to Atlanta as a student. It was definitely there in 1965. I have been on that Monteagle section in a snow storm. Very scary but its better than I40 between TN and NC. Parts of I75 in north Georgia were not completed back then. It took years to finish I75 in north Georgia.
As I recall, I think I 24 was partly finished over Monteagle around that time. It came in segments.

I wondered if they dragged their feet on purpose finishing I 75 between Chattanooga and Atlanta. Lots of businesses impacted. Kind of sad how thriving businesses were forced into bankruptcy due to their being bypassed by the interstates, but it couldn't be helped. That's progress, as they say. But we digress...

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Came here to say this. I live in Nashville, so I drive over Monteagle a lot. Been going that route ever since I was 6 when we’d drive to Nashville every summer. That section of 24 is treacherous, but short and sweet, and really beautiful when you’re southbound. We played in NC a couple weeks ago, and that stretch of 40 is way worse. I don’t think the grade is a steep, but it’s close, and it’s like 20X longer it seems.