Article Jackets Start Fast, Stumble Late in Loss to Tar Heels

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[float_left]
unc_vs_georgia_tech_0098_thumb.jpg
[figcap]Senior DT #96 Adam Gotsis is ejected after a targeting penalty[/figcap][/float_left] ATLANTA, GA – Despite racing out to an early 21-point lead by way of an uncharacteristic hurry-up offense, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (2-3, 0-2) were unable to keep pace with the North Carolina Tar Heels (4-1, 1-0) Saturday at Bobby Dodd Stadium. The Tar Heels responded to the early deficit with a 38-10 run and intercepted a last second Georgia Tech Hail Mary to win their ACC opener 38-31.

The Jackets’ loss is their first at home this year and first at the hands of the Tar Heels in Atlanta since 1997. Those milestones pale in comparison to the way the game was lost. Georgia Tech’s offense was seemingly unstoppable, scoring touchdowns on its first three drives. The defense was equally impressive, forcing punts on the Tar Heels first two drives.

It wasn’t until the Tar Heels third drive of the game, one which began with just 4:34 remaining in the second quarter, when their offense hit their stride. Carolina drove 75 yards for a touchdown in just over 3 minutes. Following a Georgia Tech 3-and-out deep in their own territory, the Tar Heels took advantage of field position and drove 6 plays, 44 yards, and converted their second touchdown in less than two minutes.

It was a whole new ballgame. Georgia Tech led 21-14 at the half but it was Carolina with all of the momentum.

Perhaps the biggest blow was the ejection of senior starting defensive tackle Adam Gotsis following a targeting penalty at the start of the second quarter. His contributions, or lack thereof, are difficult to quantify, and it couldn’t have made things any easier for a defense already playing without its other starting defensive tackle, Pat Gamble.

Following the game Head Coach Paul Johnson was asked about the defensive line’s ability to get off of blocks after Gotsis’ departure, to which he sounded a familiar tone. “We’re not a very good pass rushing team with four guys. We just aren’t. And not only that we lost contain a bunch.”

The third quarter was one where the Jackets seemingly had control and had opportunities to generate breathing room. Unfortunately, similar to their last game versus Duke, it was the Jackets’ inability to convert in short yardage to start the fourth that swung momentum to Carolina for good.

With two cracks at a touchdown from the North Carolina 1-yard line and the Jackets leading 28-24, quarterback Justin Thomas was stuffed on successive runs up the middle, resulting in a turnover on downs. Thomas said of the sequence, “[North Carolina] just stopped us. They penetrated the line and I couldn’t get across.” It was the Jackets first failed fourth down conversion after 3 successful conversions earlier in the game.

From there North Carolina quarterback Marquise Williams took over, leading the Tar Heels to touchdowns on their next two drives and a lead they would not squander. Williams finished the game with 319 all-purpose yards and 3 touchdowns, including a 37-yard reception in the 4th quarter that gave the Tar Heels their first lead.

It’s often said that close games separate the great seasons from the average, and right now the Jackets are struggling when it matters most. This is the third 3-game losing skid for the Jackets in three years. It’s likely the most unexpected relative to preseason goals and expectations.

Said senior guard Trey Braun, “The first thing is we have to make an adjustment of goals and that’s always disappointing. But it’s definitely not something that we can let put this team in the ground. There’s a lot of season left and I know that all my peers on the team, all my brothers, we don’t have any give-up in us.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Agree with Braun that they won't give up and will play hard. That's all I can really ask they do. (Well also I'd ask that they graduate.)
Trey truly brings mature and measured perspective. Always a pleasure hearing him respond to tough questions. He along with Golden, White, and Gotsis (among others) really articulate an understanding of big moments, both good and bad, and how to mentally refocus and respond.