J Batt Focused on Winning, Increasing Revenue

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Mods, Didn't know where to put this? Great read!

Good Article. GT seems allows to allow too much time between major renovations. I remember touring the new EDGE building in 1980 or 1981. Also, GT added the Homer Rice performance center since then. We have had some cosmetic up-dates to the Edge center.

Obviously, our general financial situation makes additional or replacement projects harder to accomplish.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Another Batt Interview
Of the two articles posted, this one is much better to get a sense of Batt’s vision and priorities. Highly recommend.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Of the two articles posted, this one is much better to get a sense of Batt’s vision and priorities. Highly recommend.
No argument, though if you miss the first article read this snippet:

“My expectation is that we build their programs back to the place that our fan base expects, which is to be about the right things, to build it the right way, to continually improve,” Batt said. “Georgia Tech and Georgia Tech athletics have been built on hard work and discipline and toughness for so long, restoring a lot of that, I have expectations (Key and Stoudamire will) do that, and I have supreme confidence that they’re going to be able to get those programs back to the spot that they deserve.”

Bishop, Chad. (2023, September 10). Georgia Tech AD J Batt focused on winning, increasing revenue for Yellow Jackets. Atlanta Journal-Constitution. https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...or-yellow-jackets/5ODTCMVFFFCUJJLTOR57MZUBRM/

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Batt is certainly saying the right things. I like his optimistic attitude. Has a great vision and seems to have a plan to get there. Citing our history as much as he did would indicate that, for a younger guy who’s not an alum, he is appreciative and respectful of it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No argument, though if you miss the first article read this snippet:

“My expectation is that we build their programs back to the place that our fan base expects, which is to be about the right things, to build it the right way, to continually improve,” Batt said. “Georgia Tech and Georgia Tech athletics have been built on hard work and discipline and toughness for so long, restoring a lot of that, I have expectations (Key and Stoudamire will) do that, and I have supreme confidence that they’re going to be able to get those programs back to the spot that they deserve.”

Bishop, Chad. (2023, September 10). Georgia Tech AD J Batt focused on winning, increasing revenue for Yellow Jackets. Atlanta Journal-Constitution. https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...or-yellow-jackets/5ODTCMVFFFCUJJLTOR57MZUBRM/
Batt is talking to the Alumni too
"Now its tough, but all the many the great alumni need to have the discipline to do the hardwork of increasing donation by opening up their wallet..."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting. I heard over the winter that Batt and Cabrera were working on some other revenue streams, which the article talks about (and they Hyundai deal is a product of), and I also heard they were working hard to expand the donor base. Not sure where it stood before this graphic, but it appears we're still $230 mill away from being in the top 20. I honestly thought we were far below $200 million in donor $$$, so good for us. Hopefully we'll see GT in the top 25 soon.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting. I heard over the winter that Batt and Cabrera were working on some other revenue streams, which the article talks about (and they Hyundai deal is a product of), and I also heard they were working hard to expand the donor base. Not sure where it stood before this graphic, but it appears we're still $230 mill away from being in the top 20. I honestly thought we were far below $200 million in donor $$$, so good for us. Hopefully we'll see GT in the top 25 soon.

Update:

Not sure I'm confident those numbers are accurate now. Our total donation for the new Edge Center was north of $170 million. That doesn't include donations for the indoor football practice field, basketball practice court, etc. That list is for the period of 2005-2022. I'm confident we're well north of $220 million, if not surpassed $300 million.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Update:

Not sure I'm confident those numbers are accurate now. Our total donation for the new Edge Center was north of $170 million. That doesn't include donations for the indoor football practice field, basketball practice court, etc. That list is for the period of 2005-2022. I'm confident we're well north of $220 million, if not surpassed $300 million.

Wait...you mean a graphic on Twitter X isn't accurate? I'm stunned. ;)
Joking aside, our relative ranking is about where I would expect. Surprised a little at Virginia coming in at 13 though.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Wait...you mean a graphic on Twitter X isn't accurate? I'm stunned. ;)
Joking aside, our relative ranking is about where I would expect. Surprised a little at Virginia coming in at 13 though.
What has uva been doing with all that money? From another graphic I saw, uva spends about the same as Tech annually on football, and basketball isn't that expensive.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
What has uva been doing with all that money? From another graphic I saw, uva spends about the same as Tech annually on football, and basketball isn't that expensive.
This graphic probably includes donations for JPJ, which opened in 2006.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... “Georgia Tech and Georgia Tech athletics have been built on hard work and discipline and toughness for so long, restoring a lot of that, I have expectations (Key and Stoudamire will) do that, and I have supreme confidence that they’re going to be able to get those programs back to the spot that they deserve.”

No expectations for Hall.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Update:

How does UNC come in at # 30. Their basketball program donations alone have to be way up there.