It was worth a shot...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
0-2 Today in Commitments but we still have plenty of big fish out there... Good on Coach Pastner to get our name out there with some of these guys. Most of them would've NEVER considered GT before CPast, great job by the Staff to try to make up on so much lost ground from Gregory. Should be landing these types of kids left and right in the Class of 2018.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So I don't keep up with the basketball recruiting like I do football, so can someone explain what today was? Was it just an early signing period? If so when is the actually signing day? And what guys are we realistically in the race for?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
So I don't keep up with the basketball recruiting like I do football, so can someone explain what today was? Was it just an early signing period? If so when is the actually signing day? And what guys are we realistically in the race for?
It was a day where we had a 0.01% chance of signing 2 top recruits and we didn't sign either.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
0-2 Today in Commitments but we still have plenty of big fish out there... Good on Coach Pastner to get our name out there with some of these guys. Most of them would've NEVER considered GT before CPast, great job by the Staff to try to make up on so much lost ground from Gregory. Should be landing these types of kids left and right in the Class of 2018.

What I like about it is it shows Pastner is not backing down from competing with the big boys for elite recruits. He's going after the best targets for GT regardless of who else is recruiting them. I'm not sure that was the case with CBG. It seemed like he made a cursery pass at the elite guys (especially in state), but when the big boys got into the picture he would back away. Pastner is having none of that, and he's casting a wider net. Things will start popping for Pastner and GT with regards to these elite guys sooner than later.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Only thing I didn't like about was losing out to UGA for one of these recruits. In my opinion we still have a lot of work to do to get back to where we were under Cremins. But I am hopeful that Pastner can get us there. It took Bobby a year or two to get his recruiting system rolling too.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Only thing I didn't like about was losing out to UGA for one of these recruits. In my opinion we still have a lot of work to do to get back to where we were under Cremins. But I am hopeful that Pastner can get us there. It took Bobby a year or two to get his recruiting system rolling too.

I'm OK with losing Hammonds to UGA for a couple of reasons. He supposedly had concerns about GT's academics (and additional info indicated he was justified in being concerned). For that reason, both parties are better off. Bigger for me, it likely came down to UGA & Memphis. The ship had sailed for him at Bama, Texas, UConn, & Miami. With those gone, at least UGA earned it after a 2-year recruitment of prioritizing him, rather than him landing at Memphis and the subsequent thousands of tweets about Tubby beating out Pastner that would've rained down and inevitably gone across the feeds of some recruits. Who needs that?

Outside of that, staff has done a great job so far on the trail. They got us in the mix with really high end 2017 kids that we previously had no shot at. We're still in the mix for impact Spring 2017 recruits. We're building relationships with really good prospects in the next 3 classes. We've landed our PG of the future, who I think could deliver some real excitement at McCamish.

Let's start getting out to some games so these next waves of kids see we really want them on The Flats.

What qualifies as a good job if "getting in the mix" is a GREAT job?
Compared to where we were a year ago with these recruits. Pastner will have a banner year recruiting wise next year. He is a proven recruiter and with him being in the middle of the one of the richest basketball areas in the country he will land some big time players. Just getting mentioned by some of these recruits this year was major step up. Especially since Pastner got such a late start. Rome wasn't built in a day.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm OK with losing Hammonds to UGA for a couple of reasons. He supposedly had concerns about GT's academics (and additional info indicated he was justified in being concerned). For that reason, both parties are better off. Bigger for me, it likely came down to UGA & Memphis. The ship had sailed for him at Bama, Texas, UConn, & Miami. With those gone, at least UGA earned it after a 2-year recruitment of prioritizing him, rather than him landing at Memphis and the subsequent thousands of tweets about Tubby beating out Pastner that would've rained down and inevitably gone across the feeds of some recruits. Who needs that?

Outside of that, staff has done a great job so far on the trail. They got us in the mix with really high end 2017 kids that we previously had no shot at. We're still in the mix for impact Spring 2017 recruits. We're building relationships with really good prospects in the next 3 classes. We've landed our PG of the future, who I think could deliver some real excitement at McCamish.

Let's start getting out to some games so these next waves of kids see we really want them on The Flats.
I agree with you as to what happened here and I am fine with the results. I was just pointing out that when Cremins was rolling with his recruiting we were surprised when UGA occasionally beat us out for an in-state recruit. I think once we reach that point again that will be a sign that we are on our way back to prominence regionally and nationally. We can talk about how much we want to be there or how close we think we might be but we have to have milestones that will signify where we are in that process.