Interesting game of the past - 2004 UConn

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
What do you make of that?
Personally, I don't think he has had the players at other schools that fit his blitz schemes like he did at Tech. Hall, Wheeler, Guyton, Smith, Anoai, (spelling) Vance Walker, and many others were fine football players that totally bought into his schemes. that poor guy at North Carolina was asked what he expected from Tech and he said: "They will start blitzing when they come off the bus" Just about the case and Chan pretty much let Tenuta have the pick of the litter on talent. Those teams were all about defense, kicking, and ball control. Just the way it was.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Musing out loud, wonder what insight some may have on the following two data points. (1) Al Groh was said to have been (by his coaching peers) one of the five best defensive coordinators in modern football. Did he just get senile while at Tech? Does Tech do that to coaches?

(2) Bud Carson is also said to have been one of the best defensive coordinators of all time. When he left Tech he built the famed steel curtain defense for the Pittsburgh Steelers. How did his defenses rank at Tech and why?

Not trying to make any particular point, just truly interested in anyone's insight they might have.
I don't know how Carson's teams ranked on defense but I do remember that they would flat out hit you in the mouth.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
“There is not a square inch [or electron or byte or data packet?] in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!”
Abraham Kuyper [brackets mine]
o_O:)

Boy, I never thought I would see Abraham Kuyper, considered one of the foremost theologians of the past 100 years or so be quoted on a football website. What's the world coming to? You will see just about anything on this site. That said, To Hell With Georgia

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta was a damn good coach and got the most out of the talent he had IMO. I also think he often beat opposition with much more talent and depth than he himself possessed. (What is a better mark of a damn good coach?) That said I think Tenuta enjoyed much more talent and depth than Roof has had at his disposal thus far. Ya Roof has had guys make it into the league, which is great. But we tend to have one or two studs max on that side of the ball any given year during his tenure. Gotsis was a stud as a senior IMO. AJ Gray will be a stud. But they weren't studs at the same time on the same team (and Gotsis probably had to play out of position and was injured mid season to boot). Teams like Clemson and Bama have studs at each position group nearly every year. We haven't come close to that luxury.

Money talks and BS walks however. If the D doesn't progress under Roof it is likely he and CPJ will both be looking for new homes sooner or later. Fans always are too impatient though. They see team X make a huge jump in one year with a new hire and think their team should be able to do the same. They never see the minutia that allowed it to happen and forget about team X when that success isn't sustained. It takes more than 4 years to build a program and can take more than 4 to get a problem in the program fixed. I think Roof inherited a mess on that side of the ball. I think we are making great strides in improving talent and depth on D. I think results will begin to show this year and should continue to improve in time. I just hope the AD allows CPJ and Roof the time to get it done.

Not sure how to take your well thought out take on this.

I think sports, for better or worse due to being a recreational past time that people spend big $ on, are more of a results oriented, black & white matter.

CPJ is the CEO and in his NINTH year. He is responsible for roof, sewak and all others.

I think CPJ came in here thinking his O would dazzle the football world and D & ST would take care of themselves. Not true.

I would hope that the head of any other Dept, school at GT would be expected to have had much better results after 8 full years at this salary. They would have in private industry.

ramblin' wagon

Georgia Tech Fan
I think CPJ came in here thinking his O would dazzle the football world and D & ST would take care of themselves. Not true.

Lol Can you cite anything specific to support that?

I would hope that the head of any other Dept, school at GT would be expected to have had much better results after 8 full years at this salary. They would have in private industry.

Do you know what his salary is or how it compares to other head coaches with similar results (BCS/NY6 appearances, win pct, conference championships, etc)?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not sure how to take your well thought out take on this.

I think sports, for better or worse due to being a recreational past time that people spend big $ on, are more of a results oriented, black & white matter.

CPJ is the CEO and in his NINTH year. He is responsible for roof, sewak and all others.

I'm not quite sure how to take your post either. I agree CPJ owns the program, the good and the bad. I happen to think the good outweighs the bad by a pretty wide margin.
I don't think CPJ thinks his O is magic. I think he is confident he can, is, and will be successful with it. I feel pretty confident he knows the D is equally important to O and special teams very nearly so as well.
I know some Tech fans that don't, and never have, liked CPJ's O. Most of them never wanted CPJ and wanted him gone from the start. They typically use the problems we've had on D (legitimate) and the perceived problems with Sewak etc..( somewhat unfounded me thinks) as reasons to fire him and move on. I just strongly disagree with those notions and feel like it's a throwing out the baby with the bath water type reasoning.
If we get the wrong coach here.....not only will we never sniff Charlotte or the Orange Bowl during.....but we could very easily find the football program in the same condition as the bball program.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not quite sure how to take your post either. I agree CPJ owns the program, the good and the bad. I happen to think the good outweighs the bad by a pretty wide margin.
I don't think CPJ thinks his O is magic. I think he is confident he can, is, and will be successful with it. I feel pretty confident he knows the D is equally important to O and special teams very nearly so as well.
I know some Tech fans that don't, and never have, liked CPJ's O. Most of them never wanted CPJ and wanted him gone from the start. They typically use the problems we've had on D (legitimate) and the perceived problems with Sewak etc..( somewhat unfounded me thinks) as reasons to fire him and move on. I just strongly disagree with those notions and feel like it's a throwing out the baby with the bath water type reasoning.
If we get the wrong coach here.....not only will we never sniff Charlotte or the Orange Bowl during.....but we could very easily find the football program in the same condition as the bball program.
Couldn't agree more!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Lol Can you cite anything specific to support that?

His tude. Same as when pepper came in. O,O,O,O,O,O was all the talk and other 2 segments hardly ever mentioned. Just my take.

Do you know what his salary is or how it compares to other head coaches with similar results (BCS/NY6 appearances, win pct, conference championships, etc)?

You can look up his salary. I do not care what others make. I hope you are not saying he would do better if he made more money. My post was in response to a comment about "giving him time." What does he need? 15 / 20 / 25 years?

You may care about different results. 58% winning does not seem that super to me, maybe it meets your expectations. Conference championships? ACC champs? We won 1. And even then lost to one of richt's worst teams.

Cu 5-4 great
FSU 3-2 great
Vt 2-6 stinks
Um 2-6 stinks
Ugag 2-6 stinks
2IAR to puke & unc.

Bowl record 2-5 one really good win, one really embarrassing loss

If you think that is good then fine. I don't agree.

I believe he is one of the very highest paid employees at GT. I believe he is responsible for the entire team. I believe 8 years, going on 9, is time for a CEO to get something done.

Please continue to disagree if you desire.

Hopefully we are in the playoffs this year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

And, obviously, could never dream to do better than what we have in the last eight years. Not possible. Then why continue?

I have never cared if we got 10 yards running or throwing.

I simply said people can talk, as I have often about Sewak, all they want but that CPJ is responsible.

Not sure what kind of bizarro world metric some GT folks want to use to measure success.

But it can not be what we have seen. Bad luck in 2015, of course. CPJ's fault? Let us agree not. Good luck in 2014? I think so. CPJ's genius? Can not say it all was. Nature of the game.

58% and 14-24 vs our bigs. We have, contrary to popular belief, lowered not raised the standards at GT.

ramblin' wagon

Georgia Tech Fan
You can look up his salary. I do not care what others make.

I know what his salary is, I was just wondering if you do. You mentioned "private industry" and you compared his results to his salary. You made it sound like you know how private industry works but I don't think you do.

Not sure what kind of bizarro world metric some GT folks want to use to measure success.

I like conference championships and winning major bowls. Since CPJ came to Tech only 3 other teams have won the ACC and only those same 3 teams have even appeared in a BCS/NY6 bowl in that time. If you don't compare what CPJ has done to what other coaches have done then your metrics are just arbitrary.