INSIDE THE ACC: Georgia Tech Wrap-Up and Recruiting

GTFLETCH

Banned
A Good Read!
Link
https://acc.sportswar.com/article/2018/06/11/acc-basketball-georgia-tech-wrap-up-and-recruiting/

Realistically, it’s tough to have big expectations when it comes to possibly making a move too far up the standings next season. Tech will be extremely young and there will be growing pains. Those pains will pay dividends down the line though, and toward the ends of the season they could pull an upset or two.

It may take some time, and the fact remains that Pastner may not be the longterm fix here. He’s shown some good signs early though and there is reason to be patient. The Yellow Jackets are in solid position to be seriously competitive two seasons from now with another good recruiting class.

Getting there will just take patience.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is a good and generally positive report - and fairly accurate. We are in position to be a contender but 2 things have to happen. 1) one or more of the many projects we have (Moses/Cole/Sjolund/etc.) have to pan out as legit ACC starters and 2) we need at least one more star level ACC scorer assuming Devoe is as good as advertised/hoped. Walker is incredibly important for us and he has to pan out.

We now have the "core" part of the team in place - lot of 4 year players with talent/upside. We need the stars to make plays.

We are a year behind where I had hoped we would be. Lot of reasons and most understandable. But we have to move from projects to stars. And yes some of the projects can and have become stars but we are at a point where IMHO we need to be routinely recruiting at that high 4/low 5 star level.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It is a good and generally positive report - and fairly accurate. We are in position to be a contender but 2 things have to happen. 1) one or more of the many projects we have (Moses/Cole/Sjolund/etc.) have to pan out as legit ACC starters and 2) we need at least one more star level ACC scorer assuming Devoe is as good as advertised/hoped. Walker is incredibly important for us and he has to pan out.

We now have the "core" part of the team in place - lot of 4 year players with talent/upside. We need the stars to make plays.

We are a year behind where I had hoped we would be. Lot of reasons and most understandable. But we have to move from projects to stars. And yes some of the projects can and have become stars but we are at a point where IMHO we need to be routinely recruiting at that high 4/low 5 star level.

Walker??

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT is right about where I expected it to be.
My thoughts were 8-10 wins seasons 1, 13-15 season 2, 16-18 season 3, 19-21 season 4.

Seasons 4 and 5 were always the payoff years, anything before that was just gravy.

It was made clear from day 1 that the plan was not to just try to get one and done types. Instead the focus would be on 3-4 yr guys, especially early with more highly regarded guys sprinkled in as we got further into program building.

Losing Okogie is a short term hit but a potential long term positive. If he is drafted in the 1st round that is something they can use on the recruiting trail.

I'm not really very concerned with the backcourt. If you look at what it was at the end of the season, this is what you have new for next year - Jose, Curtis, Shembari and Devoe. That's potentially a very good group of guys. i'm more concerned about the frontcourt where we may still be a year away.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Watson - damn old man brain fart.

What is that new Alzheimer's drug? :whistle:

Are you going for Moses Wright?

12228691826_68c9ed5a5d_b.jpg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
GT is right about where I expected it to be.
My thoughts were 8-10 wins seasons 1, 13-15 season 2, 16-18 season 3, 19-21 season 4.

Seasons 4 and 5 were always the payoff years, anything before that was just gravy.

It was made clear from day 1 that the plan was not to just try to get one and done types. Instead the focus would be on 3-4 yr guys, especially early with more highly regarded guys sprinkled in as we got further into program building.

Losing Okogie is a short term hit but a potential long term positive. If he is drafted in the 1st round that is something they can use on the recruiting trail.

I'm not really very concerned with the backcourt. If you look at what it was at the end of the season, this is what you have new for next year - Jose, Curtis, Shembari and Devoe. That's potentially a very good group of guys. i'm more concerned about the frontcourt where we may still be a year away.

I generally agree on your assessment. I see some things in our play that give me pause but I'm hoping it's just me being overly critical.

Hope to see us take some steps this season despite Okogie's departure.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow

Man, I hope he ends up on the Hawks. If he does, I'm sure he'll be spending a lot of time with his friends at GT. How great would it be if he stops by to chat with important recruits and tells them in person how he went from a low 3 star recruit to an NBA first rounder in 2 years.

Deleted member 2897

Not sure what you mean in that regard, but I probably disagree either way. :D

Our total number of wins in Pastner's first 2 years was right where they were expecting. We also weren't supposed to have any big bang 5 star recruits by now either. And we may not in the next recruiting cycle still yet. These guys literally can have 20 million to 50 million dollars on their head. If they can go Kansas, UNCheat, Duke, or Kentucky, that would come with the least amount of risk. We need a couple years to show that we can win games and develop players. With each advance, more players of higher caliber should come. But it will take a few years. If we can keep developing players, win maybe 18-20 games this year, the trajectory will still be in the right direction. The class we have is certainly better than anything we've seen in a long time:
Mike Devoe is rated 0.9825, and Top 50 Nationally.
Kristian Sjolund is rated 0.8923 and #204.
Khalid Moore is rated 0.8905 and #210.

That class ranks 7th out of 15 in the ACC. It ranked 2nd by any team with 3 or fewer recruits, only being behind UNCheat.

Last edited by a moderator:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what you mean in that regard, but I probably disagree either way. :D

Our total number of wins in Pastner's first 2 years was right where they were expecting. We also weren't supposed to have any big bang 5 star recruits by now either. And we may not in the next recruiting cycle still yet. These guys literally can have 20 million to 50 million dollars on their head. If they can go Kansas, UNCheat, Duke, or Kentucky, that would come with the least amount of risk. We need a couple years to show that we can win games and develop players. With each advance, more players of higher caliber should come. But it will take a few years. If we can keep developing players, win maybe 18-20 games this year, the trajectory will still be in the right direction. The class we have is certainly better than anything we've seen in a long time:
Mike Devoe is rated 0.9825, and Top 50 Nationally.
Kristian Sjolund is rated 0.8923 and #204.
Khalid Moore is rated 0.8905 and #210.

That class ranks 7th out of 15 in the ACC. It ranked 2nd by any team with 3 or fewer recruits, only being behind UNCheat.

Well be that way then :punch:

My comment about a year earlier was I hoped we would be on to a Devoe type of recruit a year earlier than it took us to get there. Not the end of the world just what I had hoped when CJP came on board. I don't have have a real expectation that we will start punching it out with K for the big bang 5 star recruits but I do think we need to live in the 4/low 5 area with some projects thrown in. We have plenty of projects and need to step up a notch. To live in the top quarter/third of the ACC you have to have those kids. Last year's class is exactly that. Just wish it were a year earlier though I understand the reasons - don't necessarily agree with all of them but I do understand them.

FWIW I do agree about the win total. CJP has gotten about what was possible out of the talent he has.

Deleted member 2897

Well be that way then :punch:

My comment about a year earlier was I hoped we would be on to a Devoe type of recruit a year earlier than it took us to get there. Not the end of the world just what I had hoped when CJP came on board. I don't have have a real expectation that we will start punching it out with K for the big bang 5 star recruits but I do think we need to live in the 4/low 5 area with some projects thrown in. We have plenty of projects and need to step up a notch. To live in the top quarter/third of the ACC you have to have those kids. Last year's class is exactly that. Just wish it were a year earlier though I understand the reasons - don't necessarily agree with all of them but I do understand them.

FWIW I do agree about the win total. CJP has gotten about what was possible out of the talent he has.

OK yeah that makes sense. It’s natural for all of us to want to be there as fast as we possibly can. And I was hoping we would get there too. But at least we’re showing a trend in the right direction.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We just aren't geared to be a one and done program either. Okogie is an example of the temptation to go early and it hurts programs like ours who try to build with experience over 3 or 4 years. Coach K can do one and done model based on his national reputation and chances he can get national championships. We are a long way from that under the current system. We need to keep guys more than one or two years and have a highly competitive team assembled periodically with a mix of youth and experience. We will not be a reload team year in and year out. Duke will have trouble with O and D model when K retires. He is now 71 and has had some various medical issues. His replacement will not have the allure that he does.