If this is where we're headed, let me off at the next stop.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This has been happening for a while in TN, Ensworth is a classic example. 25-30K/year to attend. The campus looks like am elite small college. But they're not along up there, trust me. It definitely affect the quality of the local high school teams and the "need based" numbers? Wink and a nod, these are scholarship athletes.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
What I read that caught my eye was the statement ( apparel companies placing considerable pressure on athletes). Nike and U-A . I have never thought the apparel companies would influence players in the decision about their college choice. I am glad Russell will be hosting camps soon. Haha.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
My local high school does the same thing. It is clear to everyone. There is a reason a little high school like ours travels across the country to play De La Salle. They started looking at my son at 7 years old. They begged me to let him come play for them. I like how they are open about it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is just like military boarding schools to prepare kids for sports rather than the military. Or Juilliard for music. Sounds like a real emphasis on academics.

I guess it depends on your culture. The Brits loved this model to develop their kids for Government.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this is Nick Bollettieri's thing, which started with tennis. Many of the top American juniors destined for the tour play at this academy at some point. And it's really not just limited to Americans, as Kei Nishikori (Japan) and Maria Sharapova (Russia) both attended and are among the most dominant players from their respective countries. I really don't see much wrong with it since it costs a crazy amount to attend, so it's only a very select few that are getting the privilege. As NavyNuke said, this sort of thing exists in other facets, but I guess those aren't usually purely competitive (music and military).