I just saw this …

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I finally went to the whine thread at da U's website. Normally, I don't look at those, especially for them, since the posters often know less then nothing about football. However, the second post in caught the essence of the difference between the teams (and Tech and so many of our opponents) so well, I thought I'd post it here. It said, in part:

"The other thing I like is that quite a few of their plays succeed by design whereas most of our offensive plays succeed because one of our player is more athletic than the opponent."

Bingo! That this should be the case is actually kind of sad. It used to be that most football game plans were built around plays that were supposed to succeed by design. Not so much nowadays. That's one of the main reasons I like to watch us play: we are usually out-scheming the other side on the fly.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
My 11 year old daughter asked me this morning in the car in the way to school why I like the option so much and I tried to say basically what that Miami fan said but he said it much more eloquently than I did. Sad state of affairs to be out-eloquented by a Miami fan but so be it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My 11 year old daughter asked me this morning in the car in the way to school why I like the option so much and I tried to say basically what that Miami fan said but he said it much more eloquently than I did. Sad state of affairs to be out-eloquented by a Miami fan but so be it.

Lol, somebody mark this down. First time anyone ever got "out-eloquented" by a U fan. Should I say congrats or shame on you? ;)

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Lol, somebody mark this down. First time anyone ever got "out-eloquented" by a U fan. Should I say congrats or shame on you? ;)
I think I definitely need to hang my head in shame. To put your mind at ease though I am not a GT grad so at least I am not bringing you all down with me.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I think I definitely need to hang my head in shame. To put your mind at ease though I am not a GT grad so at least I am not bringing you all down with me.

Don't talk like that--you like Tech so you are obviously one seriously smart human being. Contrast that with the typical Dwag fan who has trouble identifying players because of those tricky double-digit numbers.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
While I agree I hate how our players rarely get the attention they deserve because the focus is so often on PJ's offensive schemes. Yes the schemes are excellent but we also have highly talented and highly athletic players carrying them out. Miami's wideouts may be faster than ours but ours are pretty quick and a lot stronger on the ball. I guess what Im saying is we have the right mix of scheme and skill.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would like to get to the point where we have as good or better talent than the Miami's, Clemson's, VT's, and Georgie's of the world. I find it disturbing that we can not keep a stable of really good backs, when we can guarantee them 8-10 carries per game versus schools with one back offenses that have a stable full.

Animal02

Banned
I would like to get to the point where we have as good or better talent than the Miami's, Clemson's, VT's, and Georgie's of the world. I find it disturbing that we can not keep a stable of really good backs, when we can guarantee them 8-10 carries per game versus schools with one back offenses that have a stable full.
Schools like Tech will always be able to recruit starters.....recruiting the backups is the tough part.......who the hell wants to put up with the academics of calculus and physics for 2-3 years sitting on the bench if you can do the same thing studying sheep farming at a Michigan State?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Schools like Tech will always be able to recruit starters.....recruiting the backups is the tough part.......who the hell wants to put up with the academics of calculus and physics for 2-3 years sitting on the bench if you can do the same thing studying sheep farming at a Michigan State?
I was talking about starters. We should extoll our virtues instead of making excuses. If there is a problem, it is because we make it one.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we are on the way to having that kind of quality depth right now. It seems that we already have it on O, it's just a matter of getting the same kind of capability on D. Looks like this year's class may start us along that road. Hope so, anyhow.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I finally went to the whine thread at da U's website. Normally, I don't look at those, especially for them, since the posters often know less then nothing about football. However, the second post in caught the essence of the difference between the teams (and Tech and so many of our opponents) so well, I thought I'd post it here. It said, in part:

"The other thing I like is that quite a few of their plays succeed by design whereas most of our offensive plays succeed because one of our player is more athletic than the opponent."

Bingo! That this should be the case is actually kind of sad. It used to be that most football game plans were built around plays that were supposed to succeed by design. Not so much nowadays. That's one of the main reasons I like to watch us play: we are usually out-scheming the other side on the fly.
As engineers, designers, mathematicians and managers, we all should appreciate the "how" in how our O works. It's leverage, plain and simple. The word comes from the world's simplest machine the lever. All subsequent machines are built upon in it, in fact, the human skeleton is just a bunch of levers. I can't think of a more perfect offense for a STEM school, one that relies on mechanical advantage and leverage.

Animal02

Banned
I was talking about starters. We should extoll our virtues instead of making excuses. If there is a problem, it is because we make it one.
"keep a stable of really good backs" did not read as "starters" to me ;)

Not making excuses......it is simply a fact, and one that will not change. It is what it is, Tech will never be like the factory farm schools, so when we do win, it is even better, unlike the mutts up the road that think they are the NC every year until the season starts. :D

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
"keep a stable of really good backs" did not read as "starters" to me ;)

Not making excuses......it is simply a fact, and one that will not change. It is what it is, Tech will never be like the factory farm schools, so when we do win, it is even better, unlike the mutts up the road that think they are the NC every year until the season starts. :D
I agree with you, but we should never complain about a loss when we handcuff the program like we do. I know, it is an old argument. But, you never hear: "Two great games this week versus top ten teams, both coming off probation."