Hurry Up offense

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I remember it was used during spring ball some. I have not seen CPJ go to this bag yet. Not sure if he is not comfortable enough with it or he hasn't seen the need. I thought there have been a few times this season when it would have been a good idea to use it. And there is always the surprise factor against unsuspecting teams. Just curious because talk about it has fizzled out.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Well technically, we ran it against Duke but we just didn't have a choice. CPJ said last night that they signaled plays in but I neglected to pay attention to that.

I'm on the fence about the hurry up. I don't think there's much upside for us to run it given how we've played. It may be interesting to see as an experiment but I'm concerned about the potential cost of running it because at this point I don't think we should gamble with our turn on offense.

Would love to see our team ahead by 2-3 possessions and then all of a sudden we start hurrying up to the line. Even then, by that point, I'd just want us to run out the clock.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The only time to run it that made sense to me was at the end of the Duke game, when we were trying to come from behind in the 4th quarter. As John mentioned, CPJ said that they did use it. It didn't look significantly hurried up to me though.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I think about it from time to time, but as was said, I don't know what situation we could possibly use it in this year. I don't know that there is a team left on the schedule which we won't want to run clock on. If we get a big enough lead to try it out, well, PJ isn't into embarrassing opposing coaches.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The only time to run it that made sense to me was at the end of the Duke game, when we were trying to come from behind in the 4th quarter. As John mentioned, CPJ said that they did use it. It didn't look significantly hurried up to me though.
Agree completely. Didn't look like a no huddle to me. I remember thinking "Ok now would be a great time to go no huddle. "

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
While I think it's true our team should avoid running up tempo, I do think the no huddle can still be viable. Running up to the line of scrimmage after a play is over doesn't necessitate us snapping the ball quickly.

I think an issue may be that teams have been playing us vanilla and there hasn't been any situations where we could go no huddle and catch them in a personnel mis-match. However, with how Duke played us in the red-zone with their varying looks and weird formations, we may have benefitted from getting to the line quickly to minimize their ability to call set plays intended to confuse JT.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
It sure seems that right before the end of the first half vs Duke, we wasted a ton of time. Time we could have used.

Didn't we score just before the half with less than minute left? Given the propensity of the D to give up quick scores at times I doubt that we wanted them to have any time left to score on us