How the Gang of Three can hurt Clemson

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am rooting for Clemson for several reasons, one of them being one that led me to root for UNC and Duke of all people: the ACC in post season.

But I am wondering if Swinney's dismissal of three players this week might not have more affects on the game than anyone is thinking. True, one is a kicker. But he is the only kicker on the team who can stick it in the EZ on kickoffs. Remember our long seasons of pain when the opposition would start their offense out at the 35 or 40? That would really stress the Clemson defense against a great QB. The WR, Cain, though not a starter, got a lot of playing time after the starting WR was hurt before the season. He is the only WR who can force Oklahoma to play defense the length of the field. The 3rd guy probably won't hurt them. But we might find out early if Clemson's really good defense is going to be at a disadvantage after scoring, and if they can get deep, those passes Watson loves to throw.

Clemson, already not very good on special teams, may really be hurt.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I believe that missing Cain is going to hurt them worse. While Cain is no Julio Jones, Cain has glue on his fingers. Exceptional ball catching skills.

While creating touchbacks in the kicking game is better than 30 yard returns, the odds of being hurt by a long return when you have a decent kick coverage squad is IMO not that big of a deal.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I believe that missing Cain is going to hurt them worse. While Cain is no Julio Jones, Cain has glue on his fingers. Exceptional ball catching skills.

While creating touchbacks in the kicking game is better than 30 yard returns, the odds of being hurt by a long return when you have a decent kick coverage squad is IMO not that big of a deal.
It sure was a big deal for Tech through the years. Shortening that field by 15-20 yards has to mean something.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What the crap were those 3 thinking?
It is baffling, isn't? All they had to do was lay off the stuff for a week and the season was over. I don't think Clemson does off-season testing, though I don't know. But you're right: they threw away the opportunity to play in a major bowl. They threw away the opportunity to play for a national championship, and even win it. Now two of them have lost it forever, and Cain faces maybe another two games on the bench in 2016, assuming he mans up and takes his beating and learns from it. If Cain has any pride -- I mean pride, and not that chest thumping, shouting out about respect -- nothing Swinney does to him next fall -- running, stadium steps, tackling pit -- will hurt as much as knowing that, and knowing it forever. The way Swinney recruits I bet he has a redshirt waiting and one of his final '16 commitments will be a hot WR he might not have been chasing until this week, and Cain may be a backup again. Or he will wind up in JC or at Mississippi, where anything short of murder -- witnessed by several people, one of them preferably a deppity -- won't even draw a private reprimand. See Hot QB recruit Kelly.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What the crap were those 3 thinking?

Sex& drugs & rock and roll?
......But I am wondering if Swinney's dismissal of three players this week might not have more affects on the game than anyone is thinking. True, one is a kicker. But he is the only kicker on the team who can stick it in the EZ on kickoffs. Remember our long seasons of pain when the opposition would start their offense out at the 35 or 40? .........

Clemson, already not very good on special teams, may really be hurt.

The kicker Lapik hasn't been good lately at TBs. But the kid (Huegel) who is still playing has been.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/player/147/1070302/kicking/gamelog.html
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/player/147/1039107/kickoff/gamelog.html

Must be ACC refs. On the last OK drive before the qtr, that unsportsmanlike on OK after a shoving match was ticky tack BS. That was all that stopped them again (why did they run twice with 20 yards to go?); I really like the OK hurry up. But want Clem's son to win.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It sure was a big deal for Tech through the years. Shortening that field by 15-20 yards has to mean something.
I thought I qualified my thoughts by saying that it depends on the skill level of your kick coverage teams. In GT's case, our special team overall skill level suffers relative to a team like Clemson's. Granted, we have slightly upped our overall team "depth" that benefits our ST's. But I'd be willing to bet that if we don't get that touchback, we give up alot more yardage on returns than the teams with more overall team depth/skill. We certainly have pre-Butker.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Sex& drugs & rock and roll?

The kicker Lapik hasn't been good lately at TBs. But the kid (Huegel) who is still playing has been.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/player/147/1070302/kicking/gamelog.html
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/player/147/1039107/kickoff/gamelog.html

Must be ACC refs. On the last OK drive before the qtr, that unsportsmanlike on OK after a shoving match was ticky tack BS. That was all that stopped them again (why did they run twice with 20 yards to go?); I really like the OK hurry up. But want Clem's son to win.
That's Lakip. :)

And you'll find a Lakip in GT's alumni database. Another :)