How good are the Quarterbacks we face?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
@RamblinRed's post on teams/QBs we will face the rest of the season got me thinking.

My take on all QB’s on our schedule, with tiers.
This is based on performance in games played so far, so it's a small sample size. It also doesn't attempt to factor out the QB's surrounding cast. I watched many of the games but went by stats in others. For reference, I would rate Haynes King as near-elite.

Elite or near-Elite:
  • Ward (Mia)
  • McCord (Cuse)
  • Beck (uga)
Above average:
  • Shough (L’ville)
Average:
  • Veilleux (GSU)
  • Murphy (Duke)
  • Harrell (UNC)
  • McCall (NCSt)
Below Average:
  • Shannon (VMI)
  • Leonard (ND)
  • Drones (VT)

• Uiagalelei

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s ESPN’s QBR:

Cam Ward is second. Beck is sixth. Klubnik (Clemson), who we don’t have for the regular season, is 11th.

Our Hayes King is 14th.

McCord from Syracuse is 20th.

2 weeks into the season, things will move.

@UgaBlows Leonard played well against Texas A&M, but horrible against NIU. Only two games, but one was terrible.

@roadkill that’s probably a fair SWAG

QBR holds sacks against the QB’s rating. Veilleux had a worse rating against Chattanooga than against us, partially because they sacked him and we didn’t. DJU got sacked 3 times vs BC vs only 1 time against us. Ohio and GT had the same number of sacks vs Syracuse.

As fans, we look at a QB who has a good day against us, and we think “maybe they’re underrated”. McCord is going to have a good season if he stays healthy. DJU is behind a bad OL, and it will make his numbers look terrible. These guys will play worse vs Miami than us, because Miami has a pass rush.

DJU made some nice throws against us, and some of that was on us.

Our defense is better than last season. It was awful last year, but now we have decent run defense and flawed pass defense. Smart coaches go against your weaknesses, and right now that’s our pass defense. Unless we fix that, we’ll make Cam Ward’s Heisman reel.

We are going to give up yards and points to average QBs with decent OLs until we improve our coverage and pressure.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Here’s ESPN’s QBR:

Cam Ward is second. Beck is sixth. Klubnik (Clemson), who we don’t have for the regular season, is 11th.

Our Hayes King is 14th.

McCord from Syracuse is 20th.

2 weeks into the season, things will move.

@UgaBlows Leonard played well against Texas A&M, but horrible against NIU. Only two games, but one was terrible.

@roadkill that’s probably a fair SWAG

QBR holds sacks against the QB’s rating. Veilleux had a worse rating against Chattanooga than against us, partially because they sacked him and we didn’t. DJU got sacked 3 times vs BC vs only 1 time against us. Ohio and GT had the same number of sacks vs Syracuse.

As fans, we look at a QB who has a good day against us, and we think “maybe they’re underrated”. McCord is going to have a good season if he stays healthy. DJU is behind a bad OL, and it will make his numbers look terrible. These guys will play worse vs Miami than us, because Miami has a pass rush.

DJU made some nice throws against us, and some of that was on us.

Our defense is better than last season. It was awful last year, but now we have decent run defense and flawed pass defense. Smart coaches go against your weaknesses, and right now that’s our pass defense. Unless we fix that, we’ll make Cam Ward’s Heisman reel.

We are going to give up yards and points to average QBs with decent OLs until we improve our coverage and pressure.
Agree. Looking back to Tenuta, who generally had
*much* better talent at DB, he would blitz on almost every play, leaving DBs on an island. Yes, he would occasionally get burned big, but he wreaked havoc on opposing QBs. They were - generally - running for their lives. We lost games between 2002-2007 largely because we struggled to score so often, even with CJ and TC.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would our qb in a different , more pass orinted offense, be rated near the top?

He has shown he can see and hit tight windows down in red zone. (Last game to Layne in back of endzone, unc to Sithers going out of bounds). He is great at placing short passes right in hands of rb and wr.
Maybe we try more passing to open up for run and Haynes moves up. Go Jackets

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The ratings are early and will change as teams play opponents with talent closer to themselves but it does look like the ones that might give us huge problems are
Ward #2
Beck #6
Slough #13
McCord #20 (he already did)

The other 2 QB's we've faced so far are Uiagelelei #75 and Veilleux #90

The other QB's we face are
Murphy (Duke) #71
Harrell (UNC) #112
Leonard (ND) #81
Drones (VT) #80
McCall (NCSU) #95

Louisville is going to be an interesting game.
It will be just the 3rd game for L'ville and their first against a team with similar talent. They have a bye week next week so they have 2 weeks to prepare for GT and haven't really had to show anything yet given their opposition.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would our qb in a different , more pass orinted offense, be rated near the top?

He has shown he can see and hit tight windows down in red zone. (Last game to Layne in back of endzone, unc to Sithers going out of bounds). He is great at placing short passes right in hands of rb and wr.
Maybe we try more passing to open up for run and Haynes moves up. Go Jackets
He is already way up there at #14.

Also, if King is throwing alot that is generally a bad sign for GT.
GT is 0-6 when King has attempted more than 30 passes in a game.
9-1 when King attempts 30 or fewer passes - the only loss is to UGA.
Just shows what GT wants to do. If GT is forced to pass alot then GT is likely to lose.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
@RamblinRed - when I look at the ESPN list it has Shough at 12 and King at 13.

1725890940768.png

Last edited:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Obviously Ward and Beck are huge concerns, but for me the Louisville QB, Slough is the biggest because that's a much more winnable game and assuming (which is dangerous) a win on Saturday, would get us to 4 wins closing in on Bowl eligibility.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He is already way up there at #14.

Also, if King is throwing alot that is generally a bad sign for GT.
GT is 0-6 when King has attempted more than 30 passes in a game.
9-1 when King attempts 30 or fewer passes - the only loss is to UGA.
Just shows what GT wants to do. If GT is forced to pass alot then GT is likely to lose.
The old argument that past pasts stats can be used to show certainty of doom but not of gain.

I am assuming the end 23 the improvement was not just oc having good plays that allowed us to finish strong.
I think wienke and geep are improving our players. If correct and WHEN WE DONT HAVE TO PASS (a vital part of the plan), could king and ol let us throw down field passes to WR that can win one on one passes.
Note in comeback when run the ball had failed, King to Singleton (ol max protect) worked well.

If wienke and king think they are better at long passes - we should give it a go.

If they do i was wondering if we will be very pleased and king will move up.

Follows is a joke
"Let us not be constrained by what has been, but by what can be" Straight out of Mao in great leap forward.

Next stop Louisville!

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
@slugboy - Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t rely on ESPN’s QBR for my ratings but used it as a factor. I’m in general agreement with it but there are some disparities.

I think Veilleux is a decent QB – better than his current QBR. He did pretty well against us and we are (in theory) a higher level of competition. He was able to extend plays with his feet. I discounted isolated events like fumbles and sacks since there are so few, and it's already a really small sample size of games.

I think McCord is better than 20th. His performance in the first half of the Ohio game can be chalked up to first-game issues. He found his footing in the second half and it continued through our game. Remains to be seen if he can sustain it against a team with a good pass rush.

I rated Leonard lower than his QBR because I didn’t think he played that well against Texas A&M, but I didn’t watch the game. 60% completion rate for 158 yards (5.3 ave) and no TDs is below average to me, and he was indeed awful against the juggernaut that is NIU.

@GT33 – I rated Duke’s Murphy as average because, although he had a bad game against Elon, he was decent in the NW game I watched. His stat line in that game was 24/39 (62%) for 242, 3 TD/1 Int. Not great, but decent.

There's a bit of subjectivity to my tiers and it's early in the season. As it stands today, I think we will struggle against 3 QBs on our schedule, but have a decent chance of defending against 6 of them.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@roadkill dook ***** QB must have caught fire late in game because 1st half he looked like a deer in the headlights. He still plays for dook which means he sucks. That’s actually by definition.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
@roadkill dook ***** QB must have caught fire late in game because 1st half he looked like a deer in the headlights. He still plays for dook which means he sucks. That’s actually by definition.
Hoping you are correct when we play them. Either way, I think we win the game.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Obviously Ward and Beck are huge concerns, but for me the Louisville QB, Slough is the biggest because that's a much more winnable game and assuming (which is dangerous) a win on Saturday, would get us to 4 wins closing in on Bowl eligibility.

I don’t disagree with you. Take it with a grain of salt but according to ESPN’s odds, we’re almost twice as likely to beat Miami (38% chance) as Louisville (21% chance). I’d prefer both, lol.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
*much* better talent at DB, he would blitz on almost every play, leaving DBs on an island. Yes, he would occasionally get burned big, but he wreaked havoc on opposing QBs. They were - generally - running for their lives. We lost games between 2002-2007 largely because we struggled to score so often, even with CJ and TC.
Very different game back when Tenuta was our DC. Offensive concepts have changed a great deal since then. Tenuta's defensive scheme would have real issues facing current offensive schemes in College Football.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We also had bada$$ linebackers under Tenuta

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
We also had bada$$ linebackers under Tenuta
2002 was insane with Fox, Wimbush, and Daryl Smith. Then a few years later we had Wheeler, Wilkinson, and Guyton. Wheeler and Guyton may have been the fastest linebacking duo I've seen on the flats since I started watching in the late 80s.