Highest Revenue Earning Athletic Programs 2023

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Take this with a grain of salt...no private schools. No USC, Notre Dame, etc. Not to be Debbie Downer. We do have room to move up with improved future FB and BB seasons.
Not Debbie Downer to say so at all. I take it as a positive sign that we are mid-pack in the ACC with a 7-6 football team and a non-tournament basketball team.

With a good FB/BB season, leading to a full BDS, and a packed Thrillerdome... a 10% revenue increase next year would put us as the highest-revenue team outside the P2, Florida St, and Clemson. That’s a lot better shape than I thought we were in. Not to derail another thread but that’s a big card to play for any conference expansion talks.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Our sports programs collectively are significantly worse than either UNC or Virginia despite the fact we have similar revenue, play in the same conference and fund fewer programs.
As a counterpoint, UNC's and UVA's revenue has significantly exceeded GT's in recent years. For example, UVA took in over $100M more than GT over the 3 years immediately prior to 2023. My takeaway from the chart is we are finally catching up with our near-peer schools - a positive sign. Hopefully, we can turn that into better performance across our sports.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our sports programs collectively are significantly worse than either UNC or Virginia despite the fact we have similar revenue, play in the same conference and fund fewer programs.
As a whole, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. They have some great programs, but so do we. It depends on how you want to count quality of programs. I'd put our football team above both of them (minus the last couple of years we don't want to talk about). UNC is blueblood in basketball and UVa has been very good, while we've been down. We dominate both in volleyball, are better in golf and tennis. We hold our own in S&D and T&F. Baseball is up and down. Those sports we overlap in, except for BB, I'd take us over them. Those we don't have (soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics), don't matter.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
As a whole, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. They have some great programs, but so do we. It depends on how you want to count quality of programs. I'd put our football team above both of them (minus the last couple of years we don't want to talk about). UNC is blueblood in basketball and UVa has been very good, while we've been down. We dominate both in volleyball, are better in golf and tennis. We hold our own in S&D and T&F. Baseball is up and down. Those sports we overlap in, except for BB, I'd take us over them. Those we don't have (soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics), don't matter.
Winning NCAA Championships matter for an Athletic Department. UNC has way more than GT. No comparison. That we don’t play in those sports is a lick on GT.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Well, um, ok. You can believe what you want to believe. UNC and Virginia are almost always in or near the top 10 in the NCAA director's cup standings and we rarely break the top 50.

If the Director’s Cup is not sufficient, check out the ACC Championshios and see how we fare against either program. The suggestion.that we are remotely close to either school in overall athletics is one of the funniest cheap fake takes I have heard in a while.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we should do a poll. Apparently, winning the Director's Cup matters to some fans but not others. I suspect it may matter a little to Batt and possibly Cabrera, but not the rank-and-file GTAA employee, or student. I personally don't care that schools like UNC are ranked above us due to fielding teams in sports that we don't even participate in.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Directors cup counts the quantity of programs. We do not have enough funded sports to compete. Not a fair measure for performance vs budget.
It counts your performance in the sports you compete. We have less programs, but we also perform towards the bottom of the ACC in most of those programs in which we compete. Outside of golf, which program at Tech is always in the top 25?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
As a counterpoint, UNC's and UVA's revenue has significantly exceeded GT's in recent years. For example, UVA took in over $100M more than GT over the 3 years immediately prior to 2023. My takeaway from the chart is we are finally catching up with our near-peer schools - a positive sign. Hopefully, we can turn that into better performance across our sports.
If we’d stop the stupid hires and go get a quality HC, we’d be much better off. Carson, Lewis, and Collins were all stupid hires all about 25 years apart.