Here's My Grading Of The 2018 College Football Head Coaching Hires

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the grades that I give the 2018 head coaching hires in College Football

1)Jimbo Fisher Texas A&M A+ This was a top shelf hire by Texas A&M who will get the ball rolling quickly at College Station

2)Scott Frost Nebraska A+ This was an excellent hire by Nebraska of a red hot head coach

3)Chip Kelly UCLA A this was a very good hire by UCLA but I have concerns about his recruiting which wasn't overwhelming at Oregon

4)Dan Mullen Florida B+ this was a solid hire but he wasn't the guy most people wanted at Florida

5)Kevin Sumlin Arizona A+ This was a home run hire by Arizona

6)Willie Taggart Florida State B This was a good hire however Willie doesn't have a great record and I think FSU could have done better

7)Jeremy Pruitt Tennessee A+ After the chaos that was the Tennessee head coaching search Tennessee backed into a home run hire. Jeremy Pruitt is very energetic and a great recruiter who I think will turn Tennessee around. But how long will he be at Tennessee before he succeeds Nick Saban at Alabama?

8)Joe Morehead Mississippi State A This is a very solid hire by Mississippi State of a guy who should have been a head coach a long time ago. The question about him is how effectively can a man from the Northeast recruit in the deep south?

9)Mario Cristobal Oregon C+ This was an emergency hire by Oregon who was left high and dry by Willie Taggart leaving for FSU. I think Mario Cristobal will be Oregon's Butch Jones.

10)Matt Luke B Matt Luke did a great job coaching a poor Ole Miss team to a 6-6 record in 2017 and Ole Miss will be patient with him in the NCAA Probation bad times to come.

11)Johnathan Smith Oregon State B This was as good as a very down Oregon State program was going to do as far as hiring a head football coach.

12)Herman Edwards Arizona State F This was a very questionable-horrible hire of a guy who hasn't coached in 10 years and has never coached college football.

13)Josh Heupel UCF A This was a strong hire of an up and coming assistant coach who will keep the UCF program winning.

14)Billy Napier Louisiana Lafayette B He's got experience and Alabama and Arizona State as an assistant and this was as good a hire as the Ragin' Cajuns were going to get

15)Sonny Dykes SMU C+ Sonny Dykes has experience coaching at La Tech and California and a relatively high profile retread was as good as mediocre SMU was going to be able to hire

16)Chad Morris Arkansas B Chad Morris is a not very sexy hire for Arkansas who could either be very good down the road for Arkansas or could be a bust and be fired in three seasons

17)Mike Bloomgren Rice B+ Mike Bloomgren did a great job at Stanford as an assistant coach however Rice will have to be patient because it will take a lot of time to make Rice competitive

18)Steve Campbell South Alabama A South Alabama did a great job of hiring up and coming FCS head football coach Steve Campbell who guided Central Arkansas to back to back 10 win seasons

19)Sean Lewis Kent State B+ Very good hire by Kent State of Syracuse assistant Sean Lewis who will bring the up tempo Syracuse offense to Kent State

20)Chad Lunsford Georgia Southern D I think GSU could have put more effort into their coaching search and at least interviewed possibly hired someone like Brian Bohannon of Kennesaw State

21)Dana Dimel UTEP C- The Miners hired former Wyoming head coach Dana Dimel who coached horrible teams at Wyoming from 1997-1999 and Houston 2000-2002 and was a multiple times assistant at Kansas State. This was as good as the terrible UTEP Miners were going to do as far as hiring a head football coach.