Film Room GT v UVA 2018 O Review

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Is the bback running into the lineman something we can expect to decrease as our bbacks get more experience? Or is this on the defense for attacking the trapping lineman in the backfield? We seem to be doing this more this year than I have noticed in the past.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Is the bback running into the lineman something we can expect to decrease as our bbacks get more experience? Or is this on the defense for attacking the trapping lineman in the backfield? We seem to be doing this more this year than I have noticed in the past.

I noticed this at the game as well. To me, it is mostly youth at bback but also due to the defense to a lesser degree. The defense was attacking, so the location of the gap that the bback should run to shifts a bit. An experienced bback can adjust to this on the fly and avoid running up his lineman’s back. An inexperienced bback runs his track and goes straight to where the gap usually is in practice everyday.

I think Howard and Mason will get better at this with time.

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks for the video. I'm not sure whether I would have wanted to see the offensive series in OT (well, I would have watched for the kick), but was glad to see what was in there.
  • Safeties were 7-10 yards back, but so were the cornerbacks. We could have feasted on a hitch pass and then blown up the defense on a hitch and go, if we could just hit that. Maybe even quick slants--the linebackers were pretty tight, but the safeties were right there.
  • Our backs made a bunch of plays where there wasn't much there. Oliver, TQM, Cottrell, and Searcy made people miss or slipped tackles.
  • Rocket toss looked slow. A flair pass might have worked better? (it's pretty close to a flair pass as far as we toss it out.
  • Wish I had an overhead of our routes. I don't know how we're attacking the zone. Sometimes I think they were in man coverage (and I think they were when Stewart made his catch). Their defenders were grabbing a bunch, but we didn't fool them often.
  • The sideline wasn't open that often--they really turned a lot of our plays back inside.
  • The A back reverse was smooth.
  • Boy, we missed some blocks. Part of that might be that they lined up so close and fired so fast that our linemen just couldn't get there.
  • (repeat), TQM is really slippery.

slugboy

Staff member
I should also mention that we won on the line of scrimmage more than I thought we did. There were a couple of occasions where UVA won, like 4th and 1 with Oliver. (a pitch option there might have gone to the house).

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
A qb that can throw well will bring back the quick wr screen we ran a lot with JT at qb. It was almost always good for 5-6 yards and made the corners cheat up further making it easier to get behind them. I think we've tried to run it twice with TQM the last two years and one time the ball got their too slow and the other was airmailed.

slugboy

Staff member
A qb that can throw well will bring back the quick wr screen we ran a lot with JT at qb. It was almost always good for 5-6 yards and made the corners cheat up further making it easier to get behind them. I think we've tried to run it twice with TQM the last two years and one time the ball got their too slow and the other was airmailed.

One WR screen or hitch this year was in the dirt.

Ugasux

Georgia Tech Fan
Great stuff, thank you. I agree that we moved the ball a lot better than I thought we did at the game.