GT v Cumberland, ajc coverage 10/8/1916

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
KS wrote Tech had no plays for a loss but I'm pretty certain that is incorrect. I recall reading that one Tech man complained during the game because he was the only one on the team yet to score a TD. So they put him in the backfield, hiked him the ball, and the line laid down so Cumberland players could, and did, smother him for a loss. Next play they gave him the ball again, blocked for him, and TD.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
KS wrote Tech had no plays for a loss but I'm pretty certain that is incorrect. I recall reading that one Tech man complained during the game because he was the only one on the team yet to score a TD. So they put him in the backfield, hiked him the ball, and the line laid down so Cumberland players could, and did, smother him for a loss. Next play they gave him the ball again, blocked for him, and TD.
A Cumberland played tried to hide on the GT bench and Heisman told him he was on the wrong bench. The player said i'm safe on the right bench because if i go back to my bench i'll be sent out to play again. That was the only game Cumberland played that season and a lot of people volunteered to play because they had never been on a train.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I also read an account that Cumberland's train, enroute to Atlanta, stopped briefly near....Vandy I think. Several players got off the train in an attempt to recruit some Vandy guys as ringers for the Tech game. Some of them didn't make it back on the train before it departed Vandy, and or were injured getting back on, and were thus even more undermanned upon arriving in Atlanta for the game.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
According to the video on the previous page, GT did the same thing to the guy in the previous game but when they went to do it against Cumberland, Cumberland players got confused and fell to the ground too letting him score