Film Room GT Duke Series 1 Video

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That second play had three missed blocks and we still got yards, imagine what will happen when we actually do our jobs.

1) the playside OT missed the mike
2) the playside wr missed the safety
3 the lead blocking Aback missed the corner

I'm sorry, but that crap just didn't happen last year, at least not very much. You just can't miss multiple assignments every down and win ball games. Say what you want about play calling, we're having serious execution issues. Yes, it's fixable, but how long will it take?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we have plays where we ask somebody other than the tackles to get the mike? Don't we have a play where the Aback comes in motion then swings inside and takes out the MLB? We need to try something because our OT's aren't getting the job done and that seems to be a key block on every play.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They actually did have a play and sent the A back to the mike, the OT to the CB and the WR to the Safety... there were two of them. The DE went with the OT ( the DE thought it was a rocket toss) and made the play a little weird.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They actually did have a play and sent the A back to the mike, the OT to the CB and the WR to the Safety... there were two of them. The DE went with the OT ( the DE thought it was a rocket toss) and made the play a little weird.
So our OT essentially removed two guys from the play? How did we not score?

Declinometer

Banned
As good as an option QB that JT is I think he lacks two critical skills that would make him great. He doesn't get the tough yards very well and he truly is not that good of a passer.
Sometimes you just have to stick that foot in the ground and get up field for 3 or 4 yds like Tevin and Josh.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JT is very good... He has had to press a little most likely feeling he has to make a play. If the rest of the team can execute better, the old JT will come back. JT gave us a few good 4 and 1 QB sneaks and took some hard hits. He also made some great throws under a lot of pressure.

Declinometer

Banned
The great throws under pressure were extremely lucky. One was a duck and the WR made a good play. The other was a Hail Mary that should have been a pick. He is a good option QB but he doesn't get tough yards and he is not a good passer.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Something an announcer said in the OB keeps coming back to me: "When one thing is working (the dive) it makes everything work." The converse is true as well. When that one thing ain't working, the rest is gonna be tough, too.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I do find it strange that the O-line has basically recessed this year. Hopefully they will get thisr act together saturday. And a-backs will actually block also.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Ricky Jeune had a nice day receiving, but this video shows that he really struggled blocking. I'll be watching Errin Joe all day Saturday, because he has some room for improvement.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Errin Joe is most likely the higher performer at this time. They all have great plays and then there are plays that don't fit.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Longestday Thanks.

I'll give my 2cents (if that) on the 1st series
I think the play at about 3:15 is a Belly Option. The B-Back runs the belly trajectory as a faint, and it's a double option between QB and A-Back. While Marshall made good yardage there, I think JT could've done better in drawing the defenders to him before the pitch.

I think the next play (fumble) was a triple option. IIuc, the linebacker crashing the b-gap becomes the dive key and the OT blocks the DE. I think JT saw it too late and tried to pull-pitch (right thing to do on the "easy stunt" iiuc) but B-Back was already clamping down, resulting in the fumble.

On the next play action pass, it looks like the Mike LB blitzes when the left guard pulls (roll-out protection?). B-Back double teams on the left side of the line, setting the blitzing Mike free.

Declinometer

Banned
So many times Dukes defense was in the backfield before our line got off good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you have to vary the snap count to give the offensive line a fighting chance. This video shows it time and time again. This and this alone is what slowed down our O by not allowing our line to get first steps and angles. Look for other teams to do the same thing if we don't mix it up.
Many of you recall theVT game two years ago when we tried but we had about 5 false starts. Why did we try? Because VT was jumping the count.