Graduation Rates by conference

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
17-18 year olds do not possess the capacity to see their lives 40 years down the road (speaking from personal experience), and the factory and big $$ schools sell them the dream of reaching the NFL and a quick payoff.

Now throw in NIL and instant transfer, and it’s akin to speed dating. The NCAA enabled all this. The ‘student-athlete’ doesn’t like where he’s at, and in less than a year, new playgrounds and new playmates. Irregardless of what school credits transfer (or not), many are receiving poor advice to sacrifice tomorrow and live for today.

This photo/chart was published several years, but point taken, the odds of reaching the NFL, then playing long enough to earn generational wealth is extremely low.

I hope someone is counseling these athletes to have a fallback plan. There is a proverb that says “walk with the wise and grow wise, for a companion of fools suffer harm”

View attachment 15460
I think a very large problem with using things like this to get young men interested in more than just making the NFL is that many do not understand anything about money in general. Many people from poor neighborhoods believe that wealth is only socio-class thing, and that once you are "in the club" of the wealthy that you always will be. The NFL has gone out of their way to educate rookies about not wasting money, not trusting the wrong people with money, and trying to invest the money they get in the NFL. It has been several years since I looked at it, but the rate of bankruptcy after leaving the NFL was still extremely high when I saw numbers.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think a very large problem with using things like this to get young men interested in more than just making the NFL is that many do not understand anything about money in general. Many people from poor neighborhoods believe that wealth is only socio-class thing, and that once you are "in the club" of the wealthy that you always will be. The NFL has gone out of their way to educate rookies about not wasting money, not trusting the wrong people with money, and trying to invest the money they get in the NFL. It has been several years since I looked at it, but the rate of bankruptcy after leaving the NFL was still extremely high when I saw numbers.
Not to mention that a lot of college-age kids (and adults as well) do not understand the difference between wealth and income.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My sister in law is a St Mary’s ((ND) grad. One of her best friends was a financial advisor for pro athletes. We were at the GT - ND game in 2006 or 2007 and had dinner with her friend. She had Jermaine Dye the 2005 World Series MVP. He had zero idea reardging money. Never had any growing up. She put him on an allowance as you would a teenager. Spent countless hours teaching him about spending, investing and limiting a posse who wanted his riches.

Basically stuff we take for granted. He was simply a product of his circumstances growing up. She said he was intelligent but this was completely foreign to him.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Basically stuff we take for granted. He was simply a product of his circumstances growing up. She said he was intelligent but this was completely foreign to him.
I think it is completely foreign to a log of young adults whether poor, middle class, or wealthy. If you parents don't teach you about money then it is likely that you won't understand it. Poor kids think it is magic. Middle class kids think it is all based on what you can get spending your entire paycheck until the next paycheck. Wealthy kids think that they can just buy everything they want and money will never run out. Of course that isn't every young adult in all of those categories, but it does happen to far too many.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The primary purpose of the football team is to entertain the alumni and the street fans.

I can't actually think of a secondary purpose... :unsure:

Increasing the number of applications received by the admissions office from high school seniors, perhaps?
I've told the anecdote before.

When Clark Kerr was chairman of the Board of Regents for the University of California system he was stopped by a fellow Board member after a meeting. "Clerk," he said, "what is college for?" Without batting an eye, Kerr replied, "Sex for this students, sports for the alumni, and parking for the faculty."

Not a bad answer, to this day. Especially for a college administrator.