GOLD IS BACK ON THE MCCAMISH FLOOR!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Don’t know why it just occurred to me, but I noticed that the sideline hash marks are restriped. To my knowledge, there are no longer any rules or reasons to necessitate the hash marks (Shot clock took care of the delay rule).
Looking at courts all these years, I guess the hashes just look right so I never questioned their place. Seems that they would disappear with repaint... but I know all of these courts have been painted multiple times since the rules made the hashes obsolete... and we just painted them again.
They are an extension of the coach’s box now, but the coach shouldn’t be on the playing floor anyway so, still obsolete.
Nostalgia? Appearance? Don’t ask, don’t change? Is there a scenario where the hashes have significance today or is it just a trivia question at this point?

Last edited:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t know why it just occurred to me, but I noticed that the sideline hash marks are restriped. To my knowledge, there are no longer any rules or reasons to necessitate the hash marks (Shot clock took care of the delay rule).
Looking at courts all these years, I guess the hashes just look right so I never questioned their place. Seems that they would disappear with repaint... but I know all of these courts have been painted multiple times since the rules made the hashes obsolete... and we just painted them again.
They are an extension of the coach’s box now, but the coach shouldn’t be on the playing floor anyway so, still obsolete.
Nostalgia? Appearance? Don’t ask, don’t change? Is there a scenario where the hashes have significance today or is it just a trivia question at this point?
If I'm not mistaken, aren't those hash marks used to limit how far down the sideline the coach is allowed to go when he is standing and instructing the team. Now that is rarely enforced and CJP didn't let it stop him but occasionally you would see the ref gently ease him back inside that hash mark.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken, aren't those hash marks used to limit how far down the sideline the coach is allowed to go when he is standing and instructing the team. Now that is rarely enforced and CJP didn't let it stop him but occasionally you would see the ref gently ease him back inside that hash mark.
On the sideline out of bounds, yes.
The coaching box falls at the same location, but coaches are not allowed to be on the playing surface, so the box doesn’t extend to the floor.
The hash mark on the playing surface predates the “coaching box” and serves no purpose that I know of now.... but it persists. Nostalgia, I guess.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Its the team bench area. I believe the coaching box actually extends further than the lines that go on the court allowing the coaches to be closer to the score table. I believe that is a fairly recent rule change though (last 15 ish years)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Its the team bench area. I believe the coaching box actually extends further than the lines that go on the court allowing the coaches to be closer to the score table. I believe that is a fairly recent rule change though (last 15 ish years)
1D3E03F5-26EF-4F00-B4E3-F2E1B3B48ED3.jpeg

No, on the actual floor. It’s opposite the benches as well. It’s purpose was 5 second advance / delay in the days before shot clocks.
I don’t think it has any purpose now. I think it’s just still around so we can tell stories about the guys who could “shoot it from the hash.”

ETA— straining my eyes and maybe I am not actually seeing them on the opposite side. I guess they left them for the benches as you said and I am just convincing myself that I see them on both sides!

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No, on the actual floor. It’s opposite the benches as well. It’s purpose was 5 second advance / delay in the days before shot clocks.
I don’t think it has any purpose now. I think it’s just still around so we can tell stories about the guys who could “shoot it from the hash.”

ETA— straining my eyes and maybe I am not actually seeing them on the opposite side. I guess they left them for the benches as you said and I am just convincing myself that I see them on both sides!

Yes, by rules there is to be a 2 inch wide line 28 feet from the endline extending 3 feet on and off the court that defines the bench area. Some courts may have iton both side sin case for whatever reason the benches have to be set across from the scorer's table.

As far as why it extends onto the court, it's more speculation than anything but my guess is that it is to make it clearer if a sub is waiting to sub in as I believe they have to wait in the area between that line and half court.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely required:
Court Diagram.png

Evidently the team & coaches are supposed to stay below that mark (away from center court) during timeouts when they are gathered on the court, so it may just provide a better visual indicator for that restriction.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Definitely required:
View attachment 14633
Evidently the team & coaches are supposed to stay below that mark (away from center court) during timeouts when they are gathered on the court, so it may just provide a better visual indicator for that restriction.
THAT makes total sense! With teams gathering on the floor for time outs, I completely get it now.