Godhigh who?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Imagine Godhigh in this offense though. I think Zenon is a good substitute, but not as dynamic.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we have some A-backs playing pretty well shouldn't diminish one of the most hard working, dynamic players who has recently played for us.

This team would be better with him.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved RG while he was here, we would absolutely be better if he were still were. However, we were supposed to suck w/o him according to some. It never occurred to them that somebody might step up. In actuality, many have.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved RG while he was here, we would absolutely be better if he were still were. However, we were supposed to suck w/o him according to some. It never occurred to them that somebody might step up. In actuality, many have.

Would expect nothing less from the ab since they are (2deep) 5th year seniors. Hope to see some longer runs in upcoming games but doing good job - spacing for pitch, ball security, effort for YAK, etc.

In future just hope to see it sooner in time at tech. RG had a knack for the ball and making moves to get extra yards. With ab all leaving this year we will be asking a small group of backups and incoming freshman to step up. I think we have some real talent coming that will make this a major suprise.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact that we have some A-backs playing pretty well shouldn't diminish one of the most hard working, dynamic players who has recently played for us.

This team would be better with him.
+1

This thread could have been titled any one of a million different ways, virtually all of them more respectful towards one of the best, hardest working players we've had under Paul Johnson.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
+1

This thread could have been titled any one of a million different ways, virtually all of them more respectful towards one of the best, hardest working players we've had under Paul Johnson.
I agree, I debated in my head how to title the thread. I meant no disrespect to RG. It's just that I don't hear anybody lamenting his departure. I in no way wish to diminish his accomplishments on the flats. If he were still here, we'd be a lot more dynamic at the position, that's for sure. We didn't fall off very much if at all, from a production standpoint. That was my point.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
There has been a list of small, misfit guys who have made a great impact at GT because we deploy an a-back while not many other teams do: Zenon, Deon Hill, Godhigh, Peeples, Orwin Smith. I agree with the sentiment of the OP. This team shouldn't have been able to withstand the loss of a guy as productive as RG. They have. However, I also agree with the sentiment that this thread title is misleading and disrespectful. I don't think the OP meant it as such...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My point is we need to greatly step expectations for this position and not frame it to last year.
I want to be a top program. I believe a special system like TO gives us the best chance only if we get the top athletes.

Is it possible to get much better talent for that position? couldn't we play and try to get ball to duke johnson as a true freshman even if he was not the best blocker in practice?

Agree rg was very good even with no real threat of running from qb and a minor threat from bb. Always a place for him and others who suprise.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I said this before the season started and all the football hacks were moaning about our losses in O players. "All their playmakers are gone! Tech is doomed, doomed, I tell you!"

As I pointed out then, most of these people wouldn't recognize a system offense if it came up and bit them on the butt. And that's what we have. We are now far enough along in experience that we reload at AB every year. I'm not saying that we couldn't have used Godhigh for another year. A backfield with him and Perkins would have been the best AB combo we've had since Coach arrived (well … maybe equal to Roddy and Orwin). That said, however, we reload.

Until, perhaps, next year. Experienced backs will be at a premium then. But that's a ways down the road.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Gotta say RJ and OS were the best tamdem I have seen IMHO.. that said Godhigh definitely showed heart AND skill and has won adoration and respect.