Georgia Tech State of Athletics 2019

Deleted member 2897

I jumped around a couple times and caught a couple lines I disagreed with vehemently. Of course, that means I know I am probably taking something out of context, and I didn't hear but seriously about 30 seconds in a 30 minute speech. That's not fair.

Now, having said that, the part I caught was (paraphrasing) "Why would 1 and dones come here. They never would. We want to get the 3-stars and turn them into 5-stars." Well, Josh Okogie left after his second year, but beside that, I'd totally disagree with that assumption. Georgia Tech is uniquely positioned TO get 1 and dones. If anybody is scared about academics, you don't have to worry about keeping up for 3-5 years. All you have to do is squeak by for 1 year and you're gone. I mean, I feel like this is a silly discussion anyway - we shouldn't assume we can't get 4 and 5-star people and we should be going after them whole hog. CGC is currently destroying that myth.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
We went through the one and done's during Hewitt's last several years. How'd that work out for us? He went to the Final Four with a deep experienced roster. Look at the last several Final Four teams. More had a seasoned roster than those with the phenoms. (see Zions Final Four MOP trophy.) oops.

Okogie was a 3 star that blossomed to a first round pick in 2 years rather than 3.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Deleted member 2897

We went through the one and done's during Hewitt's last several years. How'd that work out for us? He went to the Final Four with a deep experienced roster. Look at the last several Final Four teams. More had a seasoned roster than those with the phenoms. (see Zions Final Four MOP trophy.) oops.

Okogie was a 3 star that blossomed to a first round pick in 2 years rather than 3.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I totally agree. But that's not the argument Stansfield was making.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Takeaways:
1) He left an impression that he is little worried about the remaining $30m for the 2020AI, because he went on and on about the importance of getting this project done.
2) The AD and the Coaches & SA's are really happy with the new Adidas contract. The new Adidas connection is a huge, huge upgrade.
3) The ACC Network studio on campus has just been completed. The ACC Network decided to open on GT/Clemson because that's one of the highest profile games of the year, and draws particularly heavily on the Atlanta market. ESPN is trying to do everything it can to pressure cable systems to carry the ACCN.