Georgia Tech backs Laskey, Days become powerful force

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't it be poetic justice to come out in a true wishbone with both of these guys in the backfield?

Ah, grasshopper, you do know what a "true wishbone" formation looks like, right? Justin Thomas would be under center with our B-Back in the same position, however, instead of our A-Backs "flaired" offset at the end of the Line of Scrimmage, BOTH of them would be in the BACKFIELD spread on either side of the B-Back (with our QB, B-Back, and 2 A-Backs, it would look like a wishbone).

The rushing concept is to look at the B-Back dive, pull back and give either an A-Back Counter, pull back and pitch to the other A-Back on a sweep, QB keep, or play-action pass. Gary Lanier was a magician.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ah, grasshopper, you do know what a "true wishbone" formation looks like, right? Justin Thomas would be under center with our B-Back in the same position, however, instead of our A-Backs "flaired" offset at the end of the Line of Scrimmage, BOTH of them would be in the BACKFIELD spread on either side of the B-Back (with our QB, B-Back, and 2 A-Backs, it would look like a wishbone).

The rushing concept is to look at the B-Back dive, pull back and give either an A-Back Counter, pull back and pitch to the other A-Back on a sweep, QB keep, or play-action pass. Gary Lanier was a magician.
OK, now I remember it. Well is it legal to keep the Abacks in their correct alignment and have two Bbacks side by side? (Omit one of the wr's.)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let Synjyn move back to AB for a few plays and problem solved. Btw, I'm betting that they have a few plays like that in the hopper right now. Synjyn as lead blocker for a speed option. Synjyn as an AB for an inside counter (I can almost hear the LBs groaning as they get up after hitting him). Synjyn as an AB getting the pitch on a trip with Perkins blocking or vice versa.

Still, I suspect he'll spend most of the night at BB with Laskey. Bet this'll happen, however.

Declinometer

Banned

Gary Lanier was my high school QB. I was his center his senior year. A great option QB. The play side A back in the bone formation is still the lead blocker on the option. Not to say that a counter or belly could not be run from the bone.

Of all the challenges the Georgia Tech offense presents, containing B-backs Zach Laskey and Synjyn Days could prove to be the most problematic for the Florida State defense in the ACC title game Saturday.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...-powerful-force
It is not a secret, when the dive is working, the whole system is improved. We've been saying it for five years. Might have something to do with our improved G-C-G play, too. Or our ability to pass and get the LB back in coverage. Or Justin's improved reads and his blazing speed to the edge and the improved relative positioning of the qb and A-backs for the pitch.

Not classic option qb's, but Marvin Tibbetts and Wade Mitchell were excellent ball handlers in Dodd's belly series.