Georgia Southern Fires Coach

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
After 0 and 6 start ; Shows that running the spread option from the gun has not been very effective as under center; Talk is go back to their roots and run it from the conventional way under center with new coach; They need to hire Ivan Jasper of Navy perfect fit

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't follow Southern closely. Do they use a shovel option, a shovel triple option, or something else?

There's no room for a speed option, a midline/iso play, or a classic belly play. The distance created by a shotgun snap means everything moves slower, more ground needs to be run to make a gain, and places huge demands on the blockers. The only thing I've seen that makes me think it isn't purely inferior to to a spread option under center is that extra room to the LoS allows a cute little play where the playside receivers don't block at all, but instead run a short route. The defender can either follow the receiver and open up the outside to the run, or they can attack the ball and leave a man open.

I would think that for Southern the problem there is that the scheme essentially requires all the tools you need to be a successful power run team, plus well executed option concepts. That's fine for Arizona, but seems a bit much to ask a college team.

Explanation because option terms seem to mean anything to different folks:

The shovel option to my understanding has a single unblocked defender, and the QB tends to run to the outside and the shovel pass goes to the inside if the unblocked defender bites on the QB to the outside.

The shovel triple (at least as played by Arizona) has the qb start in the gun, with a shovel man beside him a ways off anti-playside and a pitch man to the play side. There are two unblocked defenders, one near the line and one on the second level on the play side. If the shovel key turns outside, the QB makes the shovel pass to the inside, otherwise the QB attacks the pitch key to the play side. If the pitch key bites inside, the qb pitches, otherwise keeps.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't follow Southern closely. Do they use a shovel option, a shovel triple option, or something else?

There's no room for a speed option, a midline/iso play, or a classic belly play. The distance created by a shotgun snap means everything moves slower, more ground needs to be run to make a gain, and places huge demands on the blockers. The only thing I've seen that makes me think it isn't purely inferior to to a spread option under center is that extra room to the LoS allows a cute little play where the playside receivers don't block at all, but instead run a short route. The defender can either follow the receiver and open up the outside to the run, or they can attack the ball and leave a man open.

I would think that for Southern the problem there is that the scheme essentially requires all the tools you need to be a successful power run team, plus well executed option concepts. That's fine for Arizona, but seems a bit much to ask a college team.

Explanation because option terms seem to mean anything to different folks:

The shovel option to my understanding has a single unblocked defender, and the QB tends to run to the outside and the shovel pass goes to the inside if the unblocked defender bites on the QB to the outside.

The shovel triple (at least as played by Arizona) has the qb start in the gun, with a shovel man beside him a ways off anti-playside and a pitch man to the play side. There are two unblocked defenders, one near the line and one on the second level on the play side. If the shovel key turns outside, the QB makes the shovel pass to the inside, otherwise the QB attacks the pitch key to the play side. If the pitch key bites inside, the qb pitches, otherwise keeps.
GSU runs the flexbone.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Summers made an ultimatum to run everything from the Gun after he brought in Cook. With Summer's gone I think Cook has more freedom to call what he wants now. We'll see what happens.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://savannahnow.com/news/sports/...n-deen-time-georgia-southern-overhaul-offense

Man...after reading that, you have to feel sorry for coach Cook. Sounds like Summers was adamant about not running CPJ's offense there come hell or high water for some reason. Maybe he bought into the "stigma" of the appearance of CPJ's offense and how it could affect recruits, or maybe he just didn't like it. Either way, it sounds like coach Cook might have been sold a bill of goods. GA Southern is a good job...not sure why Summers was hired in the first place given all the other candidates that were out there at the time.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
http://savannahnow.com/news/sports/...n-deen-time-georgia-southern-overhaul-offense

Man...after reading that, you have to feel sorry for coach Cook. Sounds like Summers was adamant about not running CPJ's offense there come hell or high water for some reason. Maybe he bought into the "stigma" of the appearance of CPJ's offense and how it could affect recruits, or maybe he just didn't like it. Either way, it sounds like coach Cook might have been sold a bill of goods. GA Southern is a good job...not sure why Summers was hired in the first place given all the other candidates that were out there at the time.
I would put money on Georgia Southern talking to Kennesaw State head coach Brian Bohannon after the season. Bohannon would be a great candidate since Kennesaw State will be going to the FCS Playoffs in only their 3rd season.