GA Tech has Questions About Throwing the Ball

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
ATLANTA -- A major weapon was removed from the Georgia Tech playbook when DeAndre Smelter suffered what turned out to be a season-ending knee injury in the final regular-season game against Georgia.

In two years, the wide receiver had emerged as the team’s go-to guy when it needed a big catch. Head coach Paul Johnson had nothing but praise for Smelter, who he admired for his toughness and skill.

http://www.macon.com/2014/12/25/3498991_georgia-tech-has-questions-about.html?sp=/99/160/169/&rh=1

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry, the thread should have been titled "GA Tech has Questions About CATCHING the Ball".
FYI: I think there is an edit title function on the right hand side, just above the OP (probably have to edit it within 10 minutes of posting)

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Am I misremembering or did Messick have a highlight-worthy TD catch against Clemson? Kid looked good to me but I never hear his name mentioned in WR discussions.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My guess = Coach has had JT and Waller working overtime with each other so that each gets the idea that Waller is the goto guy. Hope so, anyway.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
FYI: I think there is an edit title function on the right hand side, just above the OP (probably have to edit it within 10 minutes of posting)

I tried but it looks like it only works on the body of the thread and not the header...

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Ken had more on this yesterday, but it was part of the MyAJC plan. Anybody read it?

I believe it's the virtually same article but this one you don't have to pay for (I think there's an arrangement between the AJC and the Macon paper for reprints as they have Ken videos on all the time).

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I misremembering or did Messick have a highlight-worthy TD catch against Clemson? Kid looked good to me but I never hear his name mentioned in WR discussions.
If I remember correctly, this was the game where CPJ was irritated about something and said "does ANYBODY want to play in this game? " and Messick was standing right next to him so he sent him in for what ended up being a TD reception

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Fair article.

It's gonna be Waller. Summers may catch a Smoke or two. Dennis will block. Jeune will get into the rotation and block.

Hill and Perkins from the AB spot.

I expect less than 12 passes here. I could be totally wrong but that's what I'm calling

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The weakn
Fair article.

It's gonna be Waller. Summers may catch a Smoke or two. Dennis will block. Jeune will get into the rotation and block.

Hill and Perkins from the AB spot.

I expect less than 12 passes here. I could be totally wrong but that's what I'm calling

weakness for State is DBs, if we can't throw I would expect a TOUGH night--the fact is ,we will have a hard time out-scoring" them in a shoot-out ,I'm afeared

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking our A-Backs and possibly B-Backs might even end up catching some critical passes New Year's Eve; heck, maybe even Justin might end up a receiver on a play for all I know if Synjin gets a handoff and heads outside, then rears back and passes back across the field to him if PJ starts to see a lot of over-pursuit.