FSU Charles Kelly gives Seminoles edge

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like Coach Kelly, but CPJ is going to school him imo, he has no answer for fluid in-game adjustments

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
I love that they are thinking that way.....NObody knows how CPJ's mind works as he pulls out plays to run. Love how Jimbo says "You've got to take on a blocker and beat him. You have to be sound in what you do, and make tackles." Nothing about "assignment" football...take your man - dive / QB / pitch... let's go JACKETS!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I like Coach Kelly, but CPJ is going to school him imo, he has no answer for fluid in-game adjustments
Nobody does. And I expect that Coach Kelly knows that. That's why DCs hate to play us; it isn't that we are trying to put great athletes into positions where they can make plays. It's that we are trying to find out how yourD is playing us so we can adjust to take advantage of it. Nobody is better at that then Coach and I expect Kelly is racking his brain right now to come up with chess moves.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I love that they are thinking that way.....NObody knows how CPJ's mind works as he pulls out plays to run. Love how Jimbo says "You've got to take on a blocker and beat him. You have to be sound in what you do, and make tackles." Nothing about "assignment" football...take your man - dive / QB / pitch... let's go JACKETS!!
Jimbo is exactly right. Stopping the option is NOT about assignment football, it's about beating blocks. Everybody can play their assignment but we've got them outnumbered so unless they beat their block, we still win. If they can defeat our blocks, they'll beat us. If we can block them, we'll have our usual good night on offense.

A lot of it could depend on the success of the playaction game as well. If we can block them, they'll have to commit more numbers and we'll have open WR's who we will need to be able to make the plays that will be there. GO WALLER, SUMMERS, AND JT!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Well said Vamos, football is not nearly as complex to understand as it is made out to be. It is about blocking the other team from tackling the guy with the ball. The chess analogies are apropos but only as built on a similar essential aim in both. You have a line of people defending the king in chess like with the ball carrier in football and all schematic adjustments and moves (flanking, misdirection, disguised attacks, feints) are essentially about beating blocks.