From AJC - "Tech season-ticket sales approaching goal"

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Link

Pretty good retention rate.

"With a little more than two months remaining before the football season opener, Tech has sold about 22,000 season tickets, nearly reaching its goal of 22,500."

"...renewal rate for season-ticket holders from 2015 is 92 percent..."

"...athletic department also received new orders for another 3,000 season tickets. Tech sold about 21,000 last year."

Other interesting notes -
"... projects $13 million in ticket sales for all sports for the coming school year, about 17 percent of the $76 million budget. That’s well ahead of the 2014-15 ticket sales total of $9.7 million."

"coming year will include an additional $1.5 million in new expenses, including $470,000 for the new cost-of-attendance stipends to be given to scholarship athletes, a 9 percent tuition increase and higher costs for charter flights since Delta is no longer in the regional charter business..."

"To help control costs, the department underwent a zero-based budgeting process for the coming year in which each team and office had to create and justify a budget from scratch to help examine expenses."

... oh and the Stones concert netted about $300K for GTAA.

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
Pretty good. One must wonder what the 8% that haven't renewed are thinking. Unless you moved far away, I don't think there's any reason not to!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
regarding the sod, it didn't say, but the inference was that GTAA cleared 300K which was 50K more than budgeted. Remember that $75K was kicked in to replace sod due to damage caused by the cranes, etc.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty good. One must wonder what the 8% that haven't renewed are thinking. Unless you moved far away, I don't think there's any reason not to!

My guess would be that those non-renewals are the $99 season tickets in the Upper North (who were probably mostly resellers who put them on StubHub).

There is nothing approaching that price point this year for a full-season ticket.

I think that you could invest a few grand in GT season tickets and get a hell of a return if GT, F$U and UGAg have good seasons - which is better odds than the lottery.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
we replace sod far more often then you guys think anyway...every few years. Its not that big a deal....sure yes/its an expense, but we do it so often we know how to estimate for it perfectly....if we cleared 300k in a concert, that will WAY more than cover the sod/sand

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm part of the 8% due to this damn media thing :D

Hope to make every game home and away this year.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Better to be at 22k and 92% in June than in late August. These numbers are strong in light of the falling attendance/season ticket numbers across the country. After you factor season tickets, mini-packs, visiting team, band and students, hopefully GTAA is looking at fewer than 10k single game tickets. Selling those will likely depend on team performance and kickoff times.

This program certainly deserves the support, so hoping average attendance is over 50k.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
How many UGA fans bought season tickets ??

Since the mutts did not have an interest in GT tickets last year, the growth over last year should be where they would be a factor. F$U would be a part of that growth too as they travel well and are not that far away. So even if all of the new tickets were mutts the number would be 2998 (two of those 3000 new tickets are mine!).

Except that the mutts could save money by getting the Mini-Pack which, with the Alcorn & Tulane games, is $140 vs. $350 for comparable season tickets.

So the current season ticket sales should be mostly GT fans and would stay that way unless the GTAA drops its drawers when it starts selling Upper North tickets.

Now, that doesn't mean that the season ticket holders won't sell off some games on StubHub breaking up the White & Gold blocks of seats. . .

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, I am one of them. I have a newborn baby in the house and in laws staying with us (from out of the country) until later in the year. Ill still try to make it to at least half of the games I just can't be sure which ones. Hopefully I can pick the tickets back up next year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, I am one of them. I have a newborn baby in the house and in laws staying with us (from out of the country) until later in the year. Ill still try to make it to at least half of the games I just can't be sure which ones. Hopefully I can pick the tickets back up next year.
If that's your plan you honestly might be better off picking up a season package and just selling the games you don't go to. Let's say you want to go to at least one of the big games...you sell either UGA or FSU and you might just break even right there, and any other games you sell would just be icing on the cake. If I lived nearby, it's what I would do in your situation.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If that's your plan you honestly might be better off picking up a season package and just selling the games you don't go to. Let's say you want to go to at least one of the big games...you sell either UGA or FSU and you might just break even right there, and any other games you sell would just be icing on the cake. If I lived nearby, it's what I would do in your situation.
You might be right. As the season gets closer I will probably get caught up in the hype anyways.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I have kept my season ticket even after moving back to California and make it out for all home games except the FCS game which I donate to a local Boys and Girls club. I even hit some road games so there is no reason the renewal number shouldn't be 100% with a waiting list for the better seats.

No I'm not an alum, just a sidewalk fan who enjoys the BDS atmosphere; the triple option offense; CPJ; and most of all the funniest fan base in all of college football: The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets! That keeps me coming back every year along with those free flight miles that I have accumulated.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No I'm not an alum, just a sidewalk fan who enjoys the BDS atmosphere; the triple option offense; CPJ; and most of all the funniest fan base in all of college football: The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets! That keeps me coming back every year along with those free flight miles that I have accumulated.
That alone qualifies you for a GT degree. This board would fight John Gotti for 35 cents.