Four games in, what have we seen?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tech is not a good basketball team. Period. My idea that we might have a ceiling of around 18 wins now seems more like wishful thinking. Fortunately, the ACC seems as stratified as the US economy. So we can be competitive in a few of our games. Evidence? Marquette is a bad basketball team. I bet they get dumped by 30+ tonight.

This is not what I hoped for, and the reasons are coming into focus:

After four games, I have no idea what our offense is trying to do. But, I have watched the BG juggernaut for three full seasons, plus these four games, and I have never know what offense we are trying to execute.

We are not a good defensive team. No offensive scheme and poor defense = weak team. We do not have enough talent to overcome these facts.

Cox is a body on the floor, but I am not sure what else. He does not help on defense and sometimes doesn't even guard his own man. He is not as good a rebounder as I expected. Forget scoring. The good news? He doesn't commit a turnover until he has the ball.

Mitchell hustles and has a nice touch, but he too is weak on defense. At times he plays like he knows what to do, then he shoots an 18-footer with 20 seconds on the shot clock.

Sampson seems to have a great attitude, but somewhat limited talent. If he becomes a starter, we are probably in trouble.

MGH has a timid personality on the floor. And, what was he thinking last night at the end? Where is his leadership.

Q is a good shooter, but cannot create anything. At least, not that I have seen. He is simply too weak physically to be a good defensive player.

Bolden is a good shooter at times, but seems to be going through the motions. All the hope that he had evolved into the player we recruited is gone.

Travis is last year's Heyward. Without the defense. Whoever taught him that shot should be banned from basketball.

Tadric is getting lots of deserved praise for his play last night. He finally showed us something, but that was one game. He is still a 3* freshman.

Heath is the bright spot for me. He was under my preseason radar. Watching our recent games, but especially last night, he is the team floor leader. I wonder if he is also the guy in the locker room? He had another TO last night, but his seven assists were more than the rest of the team combined.

My revised prediction: We will lose to Dayton, Charlotte, and maybe Vandy. I would not be surprised if we lost again in Orlando. It appears we will be 8-4 when the ACC games begin. I think there 6-7 games where we will have a chance to win. We will probably have a hot shooting night against one of the others. Given we should win half the winnable games and one more, I am predicting us for 4-5 ACC wins.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My greatest fears realized.

Poor perimeter defense, poor foul shooting and very little 3 pt reliability are what we have here. The perimeter defense is surprising. BTW, I'm in favor of Heyward absorbing all of a certain players minutes at this point. Why did we not put him on Carlino for a bit last night just to try it?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My greatest fears realized.

Poor perimeter defense, poor foul shooting and very little 3 pt reliability are what we have here. The perimeter defense is surprising. BTW, I'm in favor of Heyward absorbing all of a certain players minutes at this point. Why did we not put him on Carlino for a bit last night just to try it?

Those first three points of poverty have been the same every year. If we could've hit layups last night, we would've won.

Lots of basketball left. We know what we have. Maybe the light will come on this season.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Last night was vs a team with a 6-7 guy as the tallest player--they are a weak team and even with a guy going bonkers shooting (over 50% of their pts)we did not do what was needed to stop him and shift shooting to other guys
I said after the 2nd game when we couldn't figure out even their pitiful zone that Greg's career here will be determined by how he puts a zone OFFense together and now basic DEF is a problem--sliding downhill