First COFH game…

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Since sometime in the early 90’s when I moved out of state and dropped my season tickets. I did not post last night because I wanted some time to cool off. WTBS, it was a great game. I have nothing to add there.

What I came here to post was that I had forgotten about how much I detest a significant portion of their fan base. You tend to forget these things when you are not in Georgia. Out of site, out of mind I. But my wife and I were on campus from about 4:30 or so. Stayed until the very end. Sat in the UW. During this time we witnessed some of the most juvenile and disturbing crowd behavior. And had some very crude and/or filthy things said to us. We were there just trying to enjoy the occasion and did nothing to provoke anyone other than wearing our Tech gear.

Let me say that I am sure that there are many fine people who support that team. WTBS, those same people seemed to turn a blind eye to various things. Which imo is the same as condoning the behavior of their peers.

I understand why those of you with season tickets don’t want to go. However selling your tickets to Uga fans worsens the environment for those who choose to go. I wish you had the option of just returning them to the GTAA for credit. I don’t know if I will ever be bat for this game. Rant off.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
I have cousins who recently dropped their season tickets in Athens because of the behavior. One is a veteran cop.

When I was much younger I was the only Tech fan in their section during COFH. (This was the early Gailey years.) Tech was down 28-0 and finally scored with a TD before the half. I stood and cheered and high fived all of the UGA fans around me. Fans in the section thought I was funny and everyone was civil except for the steady stream of dbags from higher in the section who came to either fight or throw me out or god knows what. UGA won handily and it still didn’t matter. If was bubbas on parade until the end of the game. The UGA fans around me were blown away and continued to apologize to me until the end. I played it off, but it was my first experience with that group of people.

Years later, my MIL had a beer dumped on her head simply because she was wearing Tech gear in that stadium. She’s obviously old and disabled. Didn’t matter. No one enjoys going to games with that fanbase. I’ll only go if I know I’m sitting around majority Tech fans.

I’ve been to several games since in both stadiums, but those people drive me insane. Now that I’m a dad of two, I’m in no rush to spend $1000 to deal with that ish.

In short, I hate them.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My first game against the R&B varsity was the 1975 game they won big (~42-26 or something like that). Then we won in 1977 - the dog biscuit game. Fast forward to 2005 when I finally got back in town and had season seats in the UW. They were kind of uppity that year but not too bad. Mostly Tech fans around us. In 2007 there were three right in front of us - an older man, and what looked like his daughter and son (or maybe son-in-law). Anyway, they had those Go Dawg signs that they would hold up and block our view. We asked them to put them down several times, but they never even looked back at us, and the girl just kept putting hers up. I finally grabbed it and the younger guy whirled around to see my nephew and me, both pretty big guys, looking down at him. He turned back around, and they never put the signs up again.