FBS v FCS Games

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I figured I’d share this likely unpopular thought on this while my stock is already low here to get it out of my system.

I don’t get how FBS teams playing FCS teams is in the best interest of FBS teams and players. Seasons have crept longer with more bowl games (and now to a lesser extent, the playoff model). Additionally many players opt out of bowl games making them more exhibition-like.

It seems like the main purpose of these matchups is for FBS teams to fund FCS athletics and generate some money themselves for playing another game. I think seasons should be reduced by a game with these matchups in season, effectively eliminated, e.g., 11 game season with only FBS wins count towards bowl eligibility.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think it makes a lot of sense for teams to schedule FCS games at the end of the season (a time honored tradition in the SEC) because losses at the end of the season matter more with regards to poll rankings and you have a lower chance of losing an FCS game than a G5 or P4 game. You're mostly spot on though that these games are scheduled as extra revenue (tickets sold, TV revenue) and inches you closer to 6 wins for bowl eligibility. FCS teams don't have a lot of leverage in the negotiations so I'm sure we undercut them on the payment but that's all public data you can look up anyway. There is little benefit for the NCAA to drop teams down to 11 games - if anything, the NFL and NCAA are just trying to add more games (expanded playoff, 17 game season, etc). Same thing MLB has done with the expanded playoff and NCAA Basketball has been looking to expand the NCAA Tournament as well. NBA with the play-in games.

VMI at Georgia Tech — $425,000

8500 tickets at $50/pop

Last edited:

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I figured I’d share this likely unpopular thought on this while my stock is already low here to get it out of my system.

I don’t get how FBS teams playing FCS teams is in the best interest of FBS teams and players. Seasons have crept longer with more bowl games (and now to a lesser extent, the playoff model). Additionally many players opt out of bowl games making them more exhibition-like.

It seems like the main purpose of these matchups is for FBS teams to fund FCS athletics and generate some money themselves for playing another game. I think seasons should be reduced by a game with these matchups in season, effectively eliminated, e.g., 11 game season with only FBS wins count towards bowl eligibility.
FBS teams can only count 1 FCS win toward bowl eligibility. It’s good for both the FCS and FBS team as far as $$$ goes. I don’t mind it.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with others that the math works in terms of ticket sales and revenue offsetting paying off FCS athletics.

Shortening the season would be sacrilegious but I’d prefer quality over quantity. FBS v FCS games are seldom worth watching and bowl games are rapidly losing luster due to opt outs from oversaturation of games.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with others that the math works in terms of ticket sales and revenue offsetting paying off FCS athletics.

Shortening the season would be sacrilegious but I’d prefer quality over quantity. FBS v FCS games are seldom worth watching and bowl games are rapidly losing luster due to opt outs from oversaturation of games.
Wins and money matter. Most college Athletic Departments need both. FCS teams need dollars. Nothing wrong with 1 out of 12 games against an FCS opponent.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Understood.

But was Tennessee vs NC State a better game than Tennessee vs Chattanooga? I know that’s not a fair analogy but it does serve to make the point that you can’t automatically schedule a good game just because it’s FBS.

When an FBS team plays an FCS team interest is high with two fan groups -FCS fans who want to see how they measure up to the big leagues, and who secretly harbor thoughts of a miracle, and FBS fans of a school that is looking forward to a blowout, great highlight films, and seeing some players deeper on the roster that they are curious about. For years Alabama and VT were big believers in tune up games to get ready for stronger opponents. UGA won a recent national championship by scheduling 3 major (minor?) cupcakes into their season to give them plenty of practice time and rest time.

But I totally understand that as a neutral fan these games aren’t interesting to you. Some would like to shorten the regular season and relegate the FBS season to just conference games and then have a 30+ team playoff system tacked onto it. I get it but it would not be for me.

A lot of FBS teams that you want to be able to put on a good show against stif competition can’t do this without rest games or tune up games in between.

But, you offered food for thought.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get how FBS teams playing FCS teams is in the best interest of FBS teams and players.
It isn’t. Under the new rules, conference championships matter as does ranking. FCS wins accomplish neither.

With a playoff, injuries and depth take on magnified importance. I would prefer a 10 game conference schedule and then on to the playoffs. Playing OOC doesn’t matter as much since the playoffs are, most likely, OOC.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It isn’t. Under the new rules, conference championships matter as does ranking. FCS wins accomplish neither.

With a playoff, injuries and depth take on magnified importance. I would prefer a 10 game conference schedule and then on to the playoffs. Playing OOC doesn’t matter as much since the playoffs are, most likely, OOC.
I agree with your post in general. I would like to see more conferences move to at least a nine-game conference schedule. And some coaches are likely to advocate for an 11-game regular season as the playoffs expand, in the interest of player safety and preserving depth. This would probably kill off a lot of FCS guarantee games.

The only nit I'm picking with your post is something that I posted in the non-GT games thread - LSU just got bumped 2 spots higher in the AP poll after their lone win against an FCS team Saturday that was able to score 21 on them in 3 quarters. One can assume other factors were involved, but still...