Everything Wrong With Ga Tech football

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Collins screwed GT into a 4 year hole. Nothing to do with CPJ and transition..

Collins just sucked.
I'm confident that the play on the field and the craziness at the Edge led to some of this attrition, and that's on Collins. However, some of it is lack of PT with an open portal for some, and part of it is NIL for others. I'm not real sure it's going to be much different 4-5 years down the road for every recruiting class we have from now on. I just don't pretend to know what the future of college ball is at this point, and I'm really not too sure how much GA Tech athletics can claw back to the way it was in terms of on-field success. Too much has changed too fast over the past 10 years. College football is way, way different even from the way it was when CPJ took over let alone CCG or GOL. It just IWII.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So, we went with plug-and-play transfer OL for the first 3 years rather than playing our youngsters and growing an OL. Meh. Could possibly have worked but it didn't. We also lost the following:

We lost 3 of our top 4 recruits from 2019, all our top 6 from 2020, 2 of our top 7 from 2021, and 3 of our top 4 from 2022. That's 11 of 17 top recruits between 2019-21. It's hard to rebuild like that.

Here's a sampling of the guys we've lost:
QB: James Graham (4), Jeff Sims (3); Chayden Peery (3)
RB: Jam Griffin (4), Jahmyr Gibbs (4), Antonio Martin (4)
WR: Ahmarean Brown (3), Nate McCollum (4); Nazir Burnett (3); Ryan King (3)

DL: Jared Ivery (4), Akelo Stone (3), KJ Miles (3), Jordan Dominek (3)
LB: Khatavian Franks (4), Chico Bennett (3); Kendall Young (3); Cornelius Evans (3)
DB: Jalen Huff (3); Jordan Huff (3); Kaleb Edwards (3); Jaylin Marshall (3)

Furthermore, we recruited 3 LB in 2019 (Evans, Bennett, Young); 1 LB in 2020 (Meiguez), 1 LB in 2021 (Tatum), and 1 LB in 2022 (Efford). Not good enough, and all 3 of those 2019 guys are gone.
Transfers are the way of college football in the 2020s. We really aren't very different than any other team in losing players. Having Ivey and Dominick would really help this year's team.

Clearly Gibbs was the best player on the field for most of our games. Having Nate this year would have been very good.

Not many others on the list raise my pulse. We have as many good transfers in as out save Gibbs. This simply is the new norman.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
but I was surprised that every othet team includine ones who are at the bottom of the pack were .500 or higher at home. Playing at home is an advantage for 13 out of 14 ACC teams.
Without even looking, I would bet our home schedule has been on average harder than the other bottom dwellers since 2019.

slugboy

Staff member
Without even looking, I would bet our home schedule has been on average harder than the other bottom dwellers since 2019 1979.
Someone had to do it
I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Transfers are the way of college football in the 2020s. We really aren't very different than any other team in losing players. Having Ivey and Dominick would really help this year's team.

Clearly Gibbs was the best player on the field for most of our games. Having Nate this year would have been very good.

Not many others on the list raise my pulse. We have as many good transfers in as out save Gibbs. This simply is the new norman.
We lost some of our best players. We lost a good bit more than we gained, IMO.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Fritz wanted 5 years guaranteed. The big boosters lost their appetite for long term contracts with TFG.

There’s also the question “if it takes Fritz 3 years to turn the team around, and he’s already close to retirement, what then?”

No idea if he was interested in us at the time, but he would have been the safe hire post CPJ to help transition from the TO. After the Collins debacle and Fritz success at Tulane, he seemed too expensive for what seemed to be limited long term upside.