Even with loss, Johnson's Jackets prove doubters wrong

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Paul Johnson's offense would never work, they said, on this level of football.

How cute is that triple-option attack Navy is running, some would say. As major-conference head coaching positions opened up, he continued to be passed over. That gimmick offense will never work on the elite level of college football, of course.

Except, you know, it has. It certainly did as it put up 465 yards of offense on Florida State and averaged 6.4 yards per play, third-most against the Seminoles all year behind Louisville and Miami. The biggest difference between the way Georgia Tech played and the way those teams played is that the Yellow Jackets traded blows with the Seminoles all game long instead of dominating them for a half before wilting into surrender.

www.foxsports.com/carolinas/st...rs-wrong-120714

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting. I particularly liked this section as it summarizes my thoughts as well:
It hasn't been quite fair the way Florida State's opponents have been treated this season -- before the game, it's always "this team is really going to give Florida State trouble" and then afterwards, everything that team has accomplished to date is more or less dismissed as irrelevant.

That shouldn't happen to Georgia Tech. But Georgia Tech has a say in that, too. Florida State's opponents have often poured so much into the game against FSU that they don't have much left in the tank for everyone else. Georgia Tech, though, has a huge opportunity to change the way its program is perceived in a big-time bowl game.

"We won some quality games this year. I feel like coming up on the bowl game, we have a quality opponent again and it'll just be another chance to keep on building that reputation for Georgia Tech football," Perkins said.