ESPN with a little love

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know, I feel that's mostly an exaggeration, including the idea that anyone thinks you're a heretic. Some might, but that comes with the territory of posting any opinion on a message board. I appreciate your viewpoints - perhaps the temperature could cool a bit on occasion and then those posts will be better understood.

Fair enough. I hope we do go undefeated and beat especially uga by 5 touchdowns. Just not sure that's gonna happen :)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dude, this board has gotten so unrealistic that if JT throws an incompletion, you get 50 fan boys in your grill if you say it. They'll have charts and graphs and numbers to the effect of "well, technically it's not an in completion because the price of tea in China caused a butterfly in the Peloppenese to faint, which created an up draft across the Bosphorus that led to an erratic gust that caused it."

It's Dwag level nonsense.

As to your point, yes I didn't reference all of the games he did well in, because the point was areas we could improve. I know I'm a heretic for suggesting we aren't perfect with no room for improvement so no need to respond to that effect.
Now, what this disagreement should be about is not nerd-ism -- I have a lifelong GT grad friend I call a nerd, though he is retired Army as a battalion commander so clearly I don't know what a nerd is -- or esoteric Baltic references. It is whether one wants more completions, higher percentage, for fewer yards, the spread passing game of Mike Leach for instance -- dink it 10 yards and hope the back can run a bit -- or like Johnson, pass it like you mean it: fewer passes, but vertical and thus lower percentage to keep the safeties and corners back to open up the run game. (That is my understanding. I stand to be corrected because I am not, as I said, a nerd of any kind, including football.) If the latter is your preference, as it has become mine, then take the 51% and run like a thief because those A backs and Thomas are getting the edge for a reason. I think I recall Johnson saying early on at Tech that if he wanted five or six yards, he would run for it. Though this particular discussion is held every few months it is never resolved. Except, of course, by Johnson, the vote that counts. While one may pick at particular games to criticize Thomas -- he is fair game, have at him if it pleases you -- VT is not one. 4th and 15, a late TD pass, and a final, winning FG drive completion kind of destroys that argument, and I am of the mind that it was this game that made Thomas as the QB.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Not trying to negatively criticize JT, just suggest that completing a few more big passes could break games open. We missed a wide open pass or two against VT that would have busted it open.

Also, those were Greek references not Baltic - I'm a huge nerd myself especially with classical history.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The passing game came up big, at times, in games last year. That being said.....there was / is a lot of room for improvement in that phase....particularly in pass pro. If that improves this year and we maintain what we did rushing....well that would be a near unstoppable offense.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Right, instead of depending on miracles we will enjoy watching a "better" team struggle to make it a one score game late in games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would consider myself somewhat "geeky" because when I get interested in something, I really get into it. Nerd, connotes social awkwardness, which is something that I've never been accused of.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know, I feel that's mostly an exaggeration, including the idea that anyone thinks you're a heretic. Some might, but that comes with the territory of posting any opinion on a message board. I appreciate your viewpoints - perhaps the temperature could cool a bit on occasion and then those posts will be better understood.
I get it, you're a moderator. We will now all modulate our comments and speak in moderation. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Now, what this disagreement should be about is not nerd-ism -- I have a lifelong GT grad friend I call a nerd, though he is retired Army as a battalion commander so clearly I don't know what a nerd is -- or esoteric Baltic references. It is whether one wants more completions, higher percentage, for fewer yards, the spread passing game of Mike Leach for instance -- dink it 10 yards and hope the back can run a bit -- or like Johnson, pass it like you mean it: fewer passes, but vertical and thus lower percentage to keep the safeties and corners back to open up the run game. (That is my understanding. I stand to be corrected because I am not, as I said, a nerd of any kind, including football.) If the latter is your preference, as it has become mine, then take the 51% and run like a thief because those A backs and Thomas are getting the edge for a reason. I think I recall Johnson saying early on at Tech that if he wanted five or six yards, he would run for it. Though this particular discussion is held every few months it is never resolved. Except, of course, by Johnson, the vote that counts. While one may pick at particular games to criticize Thomas -- he is fair game, have at him if it pleases you -- VT is not one. 4th and 15, a late TD pass, and a final, winning FG drive completion kind of destroys that argument, and I am of the mind that it was this game that made Thomas as the QB.
One of my favorite recent quotes by CPJ when he said to a coach of another team, "If you have to pass on 3rd and 2 you should find another offense."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You're just shy then. Nothing wrong about that though.
O.K., then what about those of us who are the loudest person in the room, commit one faux pas after another and can't walk across a room at a party without tripping?

I will stop. This running gag probably isn't funny.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Herbstreit and Corso both said pretty confidently that Tech will beat Notre Dame, and Herby went on to say we were legit and a top 10 team with JT running it. I'll be interested to see if his vote in the AP poll reflects this.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
What would be somewhat funny is if GT jumps a couple of teams in the polls. We're all here trying not to read to much into a typical destruction of an FCS foe, because we've seen it before, but the media gets all goo-goo ga-ga about it. As most of us seem to agree, GT looked more prepared and focused in the first game than in past years, so we've got that going for us.