ESPN Picks GT to win coastal

MidtownJacket

Staff member
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/80917/georgia-tech-opens-spring-as-coastal-favorite

Georgia Tech opens spring practice today, and the defending Orange Bowl champions certainly have a lot to be excited about in 2015. With star quarterback Justin Thomas back and a defense that returns seven starters, the Yellow Jackets will likely open the season as favorites in the Coastal once again, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few big questions that need answers this spring.

[+] Enlarge
Michael Shroyer/Getty ImagesCoach Paul Johnson and Justin Thomas have high expectations following an 11-3 record in 2014.
1. Who will Thomas be throwing to?

Tech's passing game really opened up last season with Thomas at the helm, but his primary targets, DeAndre Smelter andDarren Waller, are both gone now. JuniorMicheal Summers is the most experienced receiver remaining on the roster, and he caught just seven balls last year. Perhaps the most intriguing name is that of sophomore Ricky Jeune. At 6-foot-3, he's an inviting target, and while his work was largely limited to special teams in 2014, he could be a breakout candidate for 2015.

2. Can the pass rush improve?

For all of Georgia Tech's success last season, the defense still had its share of problems, with the Yellow Jackets surrendering 6.3 yards per play -- good for 111th nationally. That number should suggest there are plenty of holes to plug, but the improvement needs to start up front, where Tech struggled badly to get pressure last season. Tech was 108th nationally in sacks (1.43 per game) and 118th in tackles for loss (4.36 per game), but the development of KeShun Freeman, the consistency of Adam Gotsis and the return of Jabari Hunt-Days, who missed all of last season because of academic issues, offers some hope that the D-line could become a strength for the Jackets if each can take a step forward and D-coordinator Ted Roof can find some depth behind the starters.

3. Is there still a chip on Georgia Tech's shoulder?

It's no secret Paul Johnson relishes the role of underdog. He's been shrugging off talk of his "high-school offense" for years, but things seemed to come to a head last summer, when talk of his job security was rampant and the Jackets were largely an afterthought in the preseason polls. That set the scene for an us-against-the-world run for Tech in 2014 which ended with a resounding Orange Bowl victory over Mississippi State. Now though, the doubters have quieted and Tech figures to be the odds-on favorite to win the Coastal for a third time in four years, and so it will be incumbent on Johnson to make sure his team isn't resting on its laurels and leaders emerge to replace departed veterans such as Shaq Mason, Synjyn Days, Zach Laskey andQuayshawn Nealy.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, you don't see such a well-written and exciting article on ESPN every day.

Hale addresses the elephant in the room vis-a-vis the Jackets vs. the establishment. Sometimes I know what Billy Beane was talking about when he said he'd rather change a sport than be ultimately a name in a trivia book.

Edit: I never realized until now how much pressure Ricky Jeune must feel going into 2015-16. I hope a friendly senior slips him a stiff drink at some point to help take the edge off. At some point during the season, Thomas is going to throw him a long nice pass that, if caught, will win an important conference game.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Win and they will come. Make reality so harsh, that even a hack can't deny it.
Don't believe for a second they don't have the "blueprint" article typed up though. The haters will always be there

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
It would be tough to make a case for anyone besides The Bees*T. VT had a very shaky year with a still unconvincing QB. Duke breaks in a new QB. UNC might have the best case but their D was horrible. Pitt has promise. Miami seems to be turning a corner much in the same way Pluto orbits the Sun...but maybe it could be a great year for them. Uva is like Pitt..potential.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
UNC might have the best case but their D was horrible.

Um, so was ours. So bad we let them beat us last year.

I love the optimism, but GT has not put together back to back stellar seasons since the 1950's, so pardon me if I am skeptical.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I love the optimism, but GT has not put together back to back stellar seasons since the 1950's, so pardon me if I am skeptical.
In 2008 we won 9 games then in 2009 we won 10. In the late 90's we won 10, 8, 9, 8 in succession. Regardless of the truth in that argument, what bearing does it have on the present? You have to look at current factors like returning players, key departures, key additions, schedule and coaching stability to make valid predictions, if that's even possible. Most of those factors all point us in the positive direction.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't a fan in 90-91 (being 1-2 years old means I didn't pay attention) but was there a lot of player turnover between 90 and 91?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

CPJ cares not about streaks, he just breaks them. I'm predicting three straight double digit win years

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
This season felt like 1989. A shaky start; we went 0-3 in '89 against NC State, South Carolina, and UVA. This year we could have lost to GSU, Tulane was within a TD in the 4th, Wofford led at half time. Luckily the early competition this year was not like in '89. In '89, with a new QB and Senior RB's making big plays, we got on a roll. Despite a loss to a Spurrier led Duke team on the road, we were a pretty good team at the end of the year that was denied a Peach Bowl bid. We lost several good players on D (Burks, Bam Bam, Thomas, Stallworth), and one of the Top 5 backs in Tech history, Jerry Mays who rushed for over 200 against uga in his last game in a Tech uniform. The ones coming back were hungry and confident even though we had big questions on the DL and at RB. Let's hope history repeats.

It would be tough to make a case for anyone besides The Bees*T. VT had a very shaky year with a still unconvincing QB. Duke breaks in a new QB. UNC might have the best case but their D was horrible. Pitt has promise. Miami seems to be turning a corner much in the same way Pluto orbits the Sun...but maybe it could be a great year for them. Uva is like Pitt..potential.
The term Big Six has been coined: Georgia, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, and Florida State. 50% of the games against potentially excellent teams. And that group doesn't include North Carolina, Duke, Pittsburgh, or Virginia in Charlottesville. We wanted the ACC to get stronger overall, didn't we? It looks like it has improved. We have nine (sic) ACC games, all relevant. Plus Georgia. I think we have made strides in on-field talent and have plenty of athletes. We have a distinct advantage with our offensive scheme coupled with an outstanding QB behind a top notch offensive line. We need to find some receivers, and continue to improve on defense. We have the best kicker in football. It will be a tough season, but a season that should be rewarding if we are as good as we think we are.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This season felt like 1989. A shaky start; we went 0-3 in '89 against NC State, South Carolina, and UVA. This year we could have lost to GSU, Tulane was within a TD in the 4th, Wofford led at half time. Luckily the early competition this year was not like in '89. In '89, with a new QB and Senior RB's making big plays, we got on a roll. Despite a loss to a Spurrier led Duke team on the road, we were a pretty good team at the end of the year that was denied a Peach Bowl bid. We lost several good players on D (Burks, Bam Bam, Thomas, Stallworth), and one of the Top 5 backs in Tech history, Jerry Mays who rushed for over 200 against uga in his last game in a Tech uniform. The ones coming back were hungry and confident even though we had big questions on the DL and at RB. Let's hope history repeats.
The '90 team had great chemistry and a strong bond, hmmm... sounds familiar. Jerimiah McClary said it all started in the summer workouts prior to the season. Now is the time to build that chemistry.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
so wait - a different team, with different coaches who played at a different time, with different play books on both O and D) that had different Special Teams didn't regularly have back to back success?

Wow boys, better pack it up.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
We have the best kicker in football.

I really do think Butker's kick against UGA will change his football career (not to mention life), but I think your statement is a stretch at this point in time. He may have one of the strongest legs, but the consistency isn't there yet to say he's the best college kicker in the nation.

Isn't FSU's kicker Roberto Aguayo on pace to be one of the best college kickers of all-time?