ESPN: Is UNC the ACC's top offense?

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It's just a safe guess based on numbers of starters returning. To be fair UNC's offense didn't turn to complete crap until the last 2 games. They went over 40 5 times and put 35 up on Clemson. If their defense continues being garbage though it shouldn't matter too much. We'll just have to put 68 on the board like we did in 2012 to make up for last year.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
As usual UNC is picked for first in something for the preseason. I was worried they wouldn't. Didn't remember their QB returned and having 2 deep O line return should make them good but then they are UNC. Our D will contain better than last year no matter how good their O may be.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I continued to be baffled by the Tarholes. They get consistently good talent. Fedora is a good football coach, I mean, really good. And yet they continue to stumble around on one side of the ball or the other (sometimes both) every year. I'm never surprised to see them rated highly pre-season, but they get a lot less out of their talent then anybody else in the conference. Why?

It isn't coaching and it isn't lack of talent. It has to be team morale. I'm betting that the stories of former UNC athletes - and everybody up there should be ashamed to show their face in public after hearing them - have seeped into their athletic programs and are making it hard for the football coaches, at least, to properly motivate the players. You find out that former teammates graduated and were functionally illiterate or can't find anything but janitorial work and realize that you are being shunted into the same "academic programs" they took up there. How does that make you feel? Not, I think, like running through a wall for Ole Carolina.

Now watch: they'll win 9 games this year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
As long as one of those 9 ain't GT (and I have a very good feeling about this game next year), I don't really care. Their defense has seemingly gotten worse each year under Fedora and their offensive numbers are inflated by their pace and terrible D. I really think our defense is going to have a much better pass rush than last year which should help contain Williams.

slugboy

Staff member
David Hale is pretty sharp. I assume best means "scores the most points", but the stats he's using seem to be in yards. We're replacing both starting receivers and both starting B-backs. Maybe it takes a couple of early games for us to get our act together.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
David Hale is pretty sharp. I assume best means "scores the most points", but the stats he's using seem to be in yards. We're replacing both starting receivers and both starting B-backs. Maybe it takes a couple of early games for us to get our act together.

Yeah, total yards (or even yards/game) is a pretty bogus stat imo. In 2014, they were #4 in the conference in yards/game but #7 in yds/play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's just a safe guess based on numbers of starters returning. To be fair UNC's offense didn't turn to complete crap until the last 2 games. They went over 40 5 times and put 35 up on Clemson. If their defense continues being garbage though it shouldn't matter too much. We'll just have to put 68 on the board like we did in 2012 to make up for last year.
They do have a good offense for sure. But my memory is too long to put aside that shameful display by Butch Davis in his first matchup with Johnson in 2008, when UNC was up a couple of TDs late and he was still chunking the ball and calling timeouts. I like to think GT had a hand in his ultimate dismissal because Johnson has an even longer memory, as the record since indicates.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Last year, UNC was 48th in total offense (we were 20th); UNC was 38th in scoring offense (we were 12th); UNC was 44th in 3rd down conversions (we were 1st).

I realize that last year is not this year but I don't see a whole lot of reason why UNC would suddenly jump us. Our QB is back and we have a parking lot full of road graders coming back on the OL. I think Stephen Hawking could rush for 100 yards per game behind the massive wall of mean we will be blessed with this year.

I look forward to the opportunity to set the record straight on a crisp fall afternoon as to whose offense is superior.