ESPN Insider: Why GT should be favored

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you imagine a defending National Champion SEC team on a 28 win streak getting bumped in the polls because of some less than impressive wins? I can't.

I can't stand FSU but they have been getting the shaft in the rankings. I didn't care much until I realized it affects us. If we upset a #3 team we get a smaller bump in the polls than we would if we knock of #1.
It's worse than you think. We'll only get credit for knocking off the #4 team.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
And it's not like Bama hasn't had tough wins, what about lsu, arky, miss st, auburn? All close games and none of those teams have proven to be as good as espn tries to make them out to be

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't like FSU, but I have defended them a lot lately and the reason is simple: 1990

If at the end of the season there is only one team left standing without a loss, that team deserves the #1 ranking. Tech should not have had to share the championship with Colorado in 1990, and until someone knocks off FSU they deserve the top spot this year (and the chance to defend their position in the playoff games).

And yes, if FSU had the appropriate ranking for an unbeaten, we would get more credit if we can beat them.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
And it's not like Bama hasn't had tough wins, what about lsu, arky, miss st, auburn? All close games and none of those teams have proven to be as good as espn tries to make them out to be
And before the SEC bandwagon chimes in about how the SEC is so tough to beat, Alabama also struggled to put away a very crappy West Virginia team, beating them 33-23 (although the game played a lot closer than that).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I do......it is from the "any means necessary" mentality of fielding a team. Antics that would have you being shown the door at other schools is tolerated / condoned. Intimidating profs..no problem, damaging a dorm.....no problem, stealing....no problem.

Those are great reasons to hate FSU but not very good reasons to disrespect their perfect record.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU has faced an FBS team coming off 6 days rest after an FBS opponent 3/10 possible times.

The 3 games they didnt were Wake, UVA, and ND.

Bama has faced 3 such opponents: Arkansas, LSU, and Auburn.

3 of their worst performances

Oregon has faced 2 such teams:
Arizona an Colorado

Their 1-loss.

That should mean something to the committee, but it doesn't/won't.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
We also ended 4 or 5 games in victory formation in the red zone.
wow, I didn't think about that stat previously, happened in these games: Clemson, NC State, Virginia, Tulane

It would have happened in more games if the clock didn't run out in our last drive.

It should have happened in uga game if it wasn't for that weird horrible drive...

Yet another reason we should be favored against FSU. ;)

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Noone will say it publically, but I think a big part of this is the committee's ill-feelings toward Jameis Winston and his antics.
They're looking for a way to downgrade FSU and the close call games provide that for them.
I also think FSU is going to be way fired up for this game ... us against the world mentality. But that just make's our opportunity sweeter.

they may be fired up but MAYBE they are looking forward to the playoffs and expect this to be just another 2nd half comeback win