ESPN does a deep dive on Ga Tech

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pretty interesting article. It covers football and basketball and the AD as well

Georgia Tech is Batt's first swing as an AD, and returning to the ACC was an immediate draw for him. But Batt saw the potential for success because of institutional alignment, the history of Georgia Tech, "and then a group of alums and fans that care."

"[President Angel Cabrera] stepped forward and said, 'Hey, we're going to make athletics as good as the academics of this institution.' And that was truly a huge part of it for me," Batt said. "This brand, this program -- four national championships, I mean, who else has Coach of the Year Bobby Dodd, Assistant of the Year [Frank] Broyles, AD of the Year [Homer] Rice, Player of the Year [John] Heisman," referencing the namesakes of national awards who have Georgia Tech ties. "There's no other program with that incredible tradition."

But the opportunity boils down to a top-down commitment to athletics, which appears to give Batt -- who has seen college programs run at the highest level in Tuscaloosa -- a sense that he can be the one to fix Georgia Tech.

"This guy's walking the walk," Batt said of Cabrera. "He is literally providing resources, he's providing access. I mean, look at this building. This is a building that's been in the football stadium for 30 years, athletics has never occupied it. Truly taking a step forward, and prioritizing athletics. Moving us forward with our $85 million Student-Athlete Performance Center. That project is on a fast track to get done as soon as we possibly can."

@Connell62 had some questions as to what Cabrera was truly doing for GTAA, and I think this article emphasizes how much has truly changed in terms of institutional alignment between athletics and academics. All of that should be music to GT fans ears, and should give us all hope that better days are ahead.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is Batt's first swing as an AD, and returning to the ACC was an immediate draw for him. But Batt saw the potential for success because of institutional alignment, the history of Georgia Tech, "and then a group of alums and fans that care."

"[President Angel Cabrera] stepped forward and said, 'Hey, we're going to make athletics as good as the academics of this institution.' And that was truly a huge part of it for me," Batt said. "This brand, this program -- four national championships, I mean, who else has Coach of the Year Bobby Dodd, Assistant of the Year [Frank] Broyles, AD of the Year [Homer] Rice, Player of the Year [John] Heisman," referencing the namesakes of national awards who have Georgia Tech ties. "There's no other program with that incredible tradition."

But the opportunity boils down to a top-down commitment to athletics, which appears to give Batt -- who has seen college programs run at the highest level in Tuscaloosa -- a sense that he can be the one to fix Georgia Tech.

"This guy's walking the walk," Batt said of Cabrera. "He is literally providing resources, he's providing access. I mean, look at this building. This is a building that's been in the football stadium for 30 years, athletics has never occupied it. Truly taking a step forward, and prioritizing athletics. Moving us forward with our $85 million Student-Athlete Performance Center. That project is on a fast track to get done as soon as we possibly can."

@Connell62 had some questions as to what Cabrera was truly doing for GTAA, and I think this article emphasizes how much has truly changed in terms of institutional alignment between athletics and academics. All of that should be music to GT fans ears, and should give us all hope that better days are ahead.
Talk is cheap, but when I look at this basketball staff, I am incredibly excited about development. CDS and CBW were legit STARS in the league, men to be feared. BJ Elder is, IMHO, the most underrated player in ACC history (and my favorite Jacket BB player ever).

I am stoked for the first time in over a decade for these guys to hit the floor.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Talk is cheap, but when I look at this basketball staff, I am incredibly excited about development. CDS and CBW were legit STARS in the league, men to be feared. BJ Elder is, IMHO, the most underrated player in ACC history (and my favorite Jacket BB player ever).

I am stoked for the first time in over a decade for these guys to hit the floor.
Agree- i think Bonzi can have an incredible impact on Deebo's development