Early Line - GT v VPI

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
GT opens an 8.5 point underdog on fanduel.

I anticipate another choppy week from a spread perspective given our QB uncertainty. In my opinion this line bakes in that King is unlikely to play.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This just me, but if King is not fully healed I hope they do not play him and then we have a week off for him to continue healing and maybe he would be ready for our last three games.
Zach also seemed injured at the end of the ND game. We may not have a QB ready for the VT game?

With any of the two healthy QBs, we will beat the turkeys.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this has 'baked in' that GT is a worse team than VT.

I disagree. VPI isn’t good nor bad - they’re like us.

Normal strength, we’d be favored by 2-ish on a neutral field. Give VPI 3 at home at noon, probably another 2 for momentum (coming off their best performance), and another 5 or so for Pyron over King gets me to about +8 or so for GT.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Should be a good game. If we bring our A game we can win. But need to burn clock and keep their O off the field. Their RB is really good and our tackling performance last night is a concern. ST should be cleaned up this week. ND noticed how aggressive we were on kicks and took advantage. Good coaching on their part. The fake punt and FG were back breakers. That will definitely be addressed. Key is still the man, but is sometimes too emotional that could affect his game calls.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Should be a good game. If we bring our A game we can win. But need to burn clock and keep their O off the field. Their RB is really good and our tackling performance last night is a concern. ST should be cleaned up this week. ND noticed how aggressive we were on kicks and took advantage. Good coaching on their part. The fake punt and FG were back breakers. That will definitely be addressed. Key is still the man, but is sometimes too emotional that could affect his game calls.
You are the ultimate optimist if you think our STs will be fixed this week. Hope you are correct but they have been a liability for several years now.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are the ultimate optimist if you think our STs will be fixed this week. Hope you are correct but they have been a liability for several years now.
And you are the ultimate pessimist. Tho you call yourself a "realist". Story: man had 2 sons. one a total pessimist and the other a pessimist. So he decided to change them. He bought the pessimist the greatest toy ever, and the optimist a pile of horse ****. When he checked on them he found the pessimist crying. What's wrong? "I'm afarid I'll break it." He found the optimist laughing and digging through the ****. What are you doing? The optimist replied " with all this **** there's got to be a pony in here."

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And you are the ultimate pessimist. Tho you call yourself a "realist". Story: man had 2 sons. one a total pessimist and the other a pessimist. So he decided to change them. He bought the pessimist the greatest toy ever, and the optimist a pile of horse ****. When he checked on them he found the pessimist crying. What's wrong? "I'm afarid I'll break it." He found the optimist laughing and digging through the ****. What are you doing? The optimist replied " with all this **** there's got to be a pony in here."
I hope you are 100% correct. I have seen nothing this season on STs this season to make me believe one week will cure our many ST woes. AS and FYI - Tech now ranks 103rd nationally in punt return defense, 109th in punting and 122nd in kick return defense. Those numbers don't address that we are 6-12 on FG attempts with most inside the 40 yard line.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Would wait closer to game time to place a bet on this game, if Haynes doesn't start you can place a large bet on VT to cover. I know I will.

PS For the record, I keep up with my net winnings betting on GT games and donate the proceeds (if there are any) to the AT fund. So far I am +10 units for the year betting GT.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
USA article below shows ESPN's FPI Power rankings for the ACC. These rankings are after yesterday's games. GT comes in at #7 and VT at #5.

If interested, there is a link for the national rankings. As far as conferences, SEC teams lead with 5 of the top 10. Miami is the only ACC team in the top 10 at #10.

Last edited:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
This is a weird line. VTs defense is good but ours is pretty good too. With King our offense is WAY better than theirs. Even with Pyron our offense is probably better.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is a weird line. VTs defense is good but ours is pretty good too. With King our offense is WAY better than theirs. Even with Pyron our offense is probably better.
Curious as to what makes you think our offense is way better. They score more points per game than we do. Their offense has really been good the last several games. Ours has not really been good except vs UNC and VMI.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Curious as to what makes you think our offense is way better. They score more points per game than we do. Their offense has really been good the last several games. Ours has not really been good except vs UNC and VMI.
If Key / Buster allow some risk of mid range passing we could show great improvement. We have to assume that the coaches think our players are not capable of execution of these downfield plays or that they are sure the ol is very good. For pyron ND we did do some CALLED roll outs, move pocket and more rpo - with passes NOT BEHIND LOS to stockton, boyd, other blocking te, #4 who YAC.
The other teams coaches have stuffed the run and brought up cb to stop YAC on sideline dump passes.
Are our players so bad we cant safely call a mid range pass.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If it's Haynes I feel good about our offense vs. VPI and if it's Pyron I feel good too, especially since he's had a recent game under his belt (and I thought played quite well under pressure). In the weird way college football works, I thought a win over ND would lead to a letdown loss to VT but a loss to ND would lead to a bounce back win over VT. The Jackets under Key have proven to be resilient. VT ain't Notre Dame. Glad I procrastinated and the spread went up to ten. Going against the grain here and taking the points.

I just saw King is out. No matter...I have faith in Pyron.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Look at the respective schedules.

Drones is an option QB running out of shotgun. I’d take Pyron over him. King is wayyy better.

Tuten is a really good RB. Comparable to Haynes although I’d take Haynes in our offense and Tuten in a more pro-style offense.

WRs they have a couple good ones on paper. Again ours is better on the whole.

And their OL is not good. Ours is wayyy better.

Their DL is really good. Their LBs are okay. Their secondary is bad. Very comparable to our defense although I’d swap DLs with them if offered. Still bitter they got Duke’s All-ACC DT a few days before Santucci signed on as DC for us.