Did the CFP system work??

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
False. See above

But you said that December is a lousy time for players and fans. That is what I responded to. FCS, D2, and D3 fans play, travel, and buy tickets for games from mid-November thru mid-Dec., and in the case of FCS to early January. If December is SO lousy that teams and fans can't travel, then FCS, D2, and D3 playoffs should not occur in December either.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue is that history is a big deal for college bowl games to the point where the dividing factor between divisions is literally bowl games being in the title of FBS versus FCS. half the fun of college football comes from traditions and bowl games are traditions. It's not that the removal of the San Diego Credit Union bowl is bad, it's the 800 million they made from tickets, hotels, and restaraunts over the last 20 years they made. We're already hitting points where 5-7 teams make bowls, and we'd run out of "good" bowls to fill an 8 team playoff. Instead of two games, we'd have all 6 BCS bowls (first round plus semis) and each conference would lose having the ability to have two teams in BCS tier bowls.

FCS playoffs also start the same week fBs teams are required to have a bye for army navy, so there would have to Be major rule changes and the removal of conference champ games to make it work which although is feasible, I feel would be worse overall

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually don't think 16 would be necessary. The P5 championship games would be a de facto play in game for an 8 team playoff. You could then play the first round mid-December at the higher seeds home stadium, take a break and then play the semi-finals on New Year's Day, and the final the week after.(Just like they do now for semis and finals) If you don't want it in the middle of December, then the quarterfinal could be the weekend before Christmas. That would even give Army or Navy time to get ready if they qualified.

The argument about finals still doesn't hold with FCS, D2, and D3. They had games this year 12/2, 12/8-9, and 12/15-16. I'm fairly sure that most if not all of the schools involved had finals one of those weeks.

This is the solution! [emoji106] I think you’ve solved it. (Not being sarcastic) De Facto play-ins, Dec 8th or 15th quarters, then final four the way we do CFP now. It’s not perfect but that sounds like the only way to expand the playoff without completely upsetting the preexisting frame of the regular season.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue is that history is a big deal for college bowl games to the point where the dividing factor between divisions is literally bowl games being in the title of FBS versus FCS. half the fun of college football comes from traditions and bowl games are traditions. It's not that the removal of the San Diego Credit Union bowl is bad, it's the 800 million they made from tickets, hotels, and restaraunts over the last 20 years they made. We're already hitting points where 5-7 teams make bowls, and we'd run out of "good" bowls to fill an 8 team playoff. Instead of two games, we'd have all 6 BCS bowls (first round plus semis) and each conference would lose having the ability to have two teams in BCS tier bowls.

FCS playoffs also start the same week fBs teams are required to have a bye for army navy, so there would have to Be major rule changes and the removal of conference champ games to make it work which although is feasible, I feel would be worse overall

Again, this obsession with the bowls. You don't have to do away with bowl games - those who don't make the playoffs can still be invited to bowls.

Additionally, you don't have to make the "BCS bowls" part of anything but the final 4 (as it is currently). Before that, you have playoffs similar to NFL playoffs - on home field, based on seed.

Think of it - how fun would it be to watch Oklahoma or FSU have to play a playoff game in Michigan or Wisconsin in December (as opposed to the de facto home game that happens with most bowls)? Isn't that what college football is really about, more than "getting into a BCS-tier bowl"?

IMO, Dan Wetzel's 16-team plan from 7 years ago is still the best option to ensure that the best team comes out on top. Would love to see that - although I doubt we ever will, given the relative $ interests of the bowl games + the NCAA AND most fans' continual inside-the-box thinking.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
https://www.alspur.com/marble-game-in-r/

This is very interesting method to rank teams. On its face, seems too simple. But it does:
- place emphasis on winning (or not losing)... especially late in season
- credit road wins as "better"
- give P5 teams a bit of a head start (advantage) over non-P5
- Conference championships are a BIG deal (assuming) both participants have decent resumes
- eliminates "committee" bias by taking people out of rankings