Design Identity | Football Uniforms

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
We are the most self-hating program ever. Leave it for Tech fans to **** all over their own program's identity...lol.

From 1995-2018 (24 seasons) Tech wore blue shirts less than 10 times, never more than once in a season. Pants were always gold or white. Using blue and black to represent GT was primarily introduced in the 70s/80s....and in 95 after the Lewis debacle there was a huge push to "get back to our roots" with white and gold. This isn't an opinion. The archaeological record of Tech gear, memorabilia, antiques, logos, uniforms bears this out.

My issue has always been more brand identity, of which uniforms do play a part, but less than many might think. Gold is who we are, but when you allow Navy to be a primary color in promotional materials, graphics on TV screens, and the predominant color of uniforms (other sports are doing this to a MUCH greater extent than football unfortunately - even the cheerleaders have ALL navy uniforms this year for the first time in over 20 years).

White and gold is wholly unique across the college football landscape when it's executed correctly, not in the absence of navy, but with it designated as a tertiary or trim color. That doesn't mean we don't have occasional uses for navy used as a predominant color. Special one-off uniforms worn once a year are solid. But we've taken it the other direction. Gold signs came down at Bobby Dodd. Navy ones went up. The media packages for ESPN and others for Georgia Tech has been primarily navy blue for at least six years now. Outside of the wreck, no one not associated with Tech would know our colors are white and gold. I see it as a complete muddying of our brand where we basically have two completely competing brands, and just by virtue of the color spectrum, navy will always impose its presence when you let it.

There are some people that believe young people and recruits have some strange attachment to navy blue which is odd. Doing different and innovative things has nothing to do with using specific colors. I'm not opposed to shaking things up while at the same time preserving consistency.

I realize some people don't care about this stuff, and that's fine, or just really like the look of navy blue, which trumps their appreciation of history or tradition. I get that, I just disagree. So I will continue to wear white and gold, and hope that one day things are fixed to the way they should be, and done in a way that people are excited about.

Wear gold, and Go Jackets

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We are the most self-hating program ever. Leave it for Tech fans to **** all over their own program's identity...lol.

From 1995-2018 (24 seasons) Tech wore blue shirts less than 10 times, never more than once in a season. Pants were always gold or white. Using blue and black to represent GT was primarily introduced in the 70s/80s....and in 95 after the Lewis debacle there was a huge push to "get back to our roots" with white and gold. This isn't an opinion. The archaeological record of Tech gear, memorabilia, antiques, logos, uniforms bears this out.

My issue has always been more brand identity, of which uniforms do play a part, but less than many might think. Gold is who we are, but when you allow Navy to be a primary color in promotional materials, graphics on TV screens, and the predominant color of uniforms (other sports are doing this to a MUCH greater extent than football unfortunately - even the cheerleaders have ALL navy uniforms this year for the first time in over 20 years).

White and gold is wholly unique across the college football landscape when it's executed correctly, not in the absence of navy, but with it designated as a tertiary or trim color. That doesn't mean we don't have occasional uses for navy used as a predominant color. Special one-off uniforms worn once a year are solid. But we've taken it the other direction. Gold signs came down at Bobby Dodd. Navy ones went up. The media packages for ESPN and others for Georgia Tech has been primarily navy blue for at least six years now. Outside of the wreck, no one not associated with Tech would know our colors are white and gold. I see it as a complete muddying of our brand where we basically have two completely competing brands, and just by virtue of the color spectrum, navy will always impose its presence when you let it.

There are some people that believe young people and recruits have some strange attachment to navy blue which is odd. Doing different and innovative things has nothing to do with using specific colors. I'm not opposed to shaking things up while at the same time preserving consistency.

I realize some people don't care about this stuff, and that's fine, or just really like the look of navy blue, which trumps their appreciation of history or tradition. I get that, I just disagree. So I will continue to wear white and gold, and hope that one day things are fixed to the way they should be, and done in a way that people are excited about.

Wear gold, and Go Jackets
It’s very hard to sell “gold” clothing. Blue sells much better. Money matters to both GT and our clothing sponsors.

GT football is not a National brand and has not been for a very long time.

You do what you have to do to become relevant. We need to do a lot for a good number of years.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s very hard to sell “gold” clothing. Blue sells much better. Money matters to both GT and our clothing sponsors.

GT football is not a National brand and has not been for a very long time.

You do what you have to do to become relevant. We need to do a lot for a good number of years.

1) That's your opinion. Navy is certainly easier to source and make, which certainly explains why Adidas is so keen on it with the encouragement of the AA. It's interesting that whenever something blue and something gold are sold side by side, gold always sells out first. I'm sure somebody has anecdotes will say the opposite, but this is my anecdote as a GT fan over the last 25 years. When I see gold GT gear I like, I grab it quick because I know it will be gone soon.

2) I don't really care about anybody's perception of GT as a "national brand". Only that GT has what I consider to be the right, consistent brand. Which I totally concede is my opinion, based on my appreciation for tradition. Obviously you don't agree and that's cool. It's all opinion. And you're wrong 😉

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yeah when I brought them up that was exactly my point. In my entire GT fanhood there hasn’t been an iconic GT uniform look that everyone just knows is GT vs teams like PSU and Bama who are recognized.
I’ve been alive since 99’ and we’ve had atleast 20 different uniforms layouts in that time, not just color combinations but actual uniform design.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
1) That's your opinion. Navy is certainly easier to source and make, which certainly explains why Adidas is so keen on it with the encouragement of the AA. It's interesting that whenever something blue and something gold are sold side by side, gold always sells out first. I'm sure somebody has anecdotes will say the opposite, but this is my anecdote as a GT fan over the last 25 years. When I see gold GT gear I like, I grab it quick because I know it will be gone soon.

2) I don't really care about anybody's perception of GT as a "national brand". Only that GT has what I consider to be the right, consistent brand. Which I totally concede is my opinion, based on my appreciation for tradition. Obviously you don't agree and that's cool. It's all opinion. And you're wrong 😉
How many people do you see in daily life with gold shirts on? Compare that to blue shirts. It’s not close. Remember money drives all college athletics nnow whether we like it or not.