Define 2017 Success

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to leave this very open ended. We are about 1/3 through the regular season schedule (1/5 through the ACC schedule). I'd be curious how folks feel...right now... about what needs to happen in the balance of the season to call 2017 a "success" for Tech's baseball team?

My 2 cents. We seem to be zeroing in on what we have.
1) Pitching is below average. The good news... we have critical parts emerging that are young. With more experience, these parts potentially have the most upside. Barring any injury, I have to believe pitching will improve. I do not expect it to improve dramatically overall... but man, I'd love to be surprised.
2) Defense is inconsistent. This is part of baseball...and timing is everything. Poor defensive plays (physical and mental) just have to be minimized. That's not too much to expect. How or whether Tech can improve here is question I just don't have an answer for. If we are going to win consistently, this needs to be shored up.
3) Offense is very good. This is where we must make up for inadequacies in pitching and defense...and frankly, we have the team to do that.

What will I consider success? We're 2-4 in the ACC right now. I think we must get to .500 in the ACC. Last year, 6 teams ACC teams were above .500 in conference play. Top 6 in the ACC is a good season. If we can get to top 4 in ACC... that is great. I will assume if you're top 3-4 in the ACC, you're top 10 nationally.

Missing the post-season - HUGE disappointment
Making post-season (not hosting) and losing - Meh.
Hosting regional and losing - Hosting = Great regular season. Losing = post-season disappointment
Making Super-Regional - Great season!
Making CWS - Supreme over-achievement

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Missing the post-season - HUGE disappointment
Making post-season (not hosting) and losing - Meh.
Hosting regional and losing - Hosting = Great regular season. Losing = post-season disappointment
Making Super-Regional - Great season!
Making CWS - Supreme over-achievement

Can't argue with the above definitions :)

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
If we get to .500 in conference I would consider this season a smashing success. I think if that happens, the post season will take care of itself.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Same as the last two posters here.

We're 12-7, #95 in the RPI. We're 10-3 out of conference, which is nice, but we were 22-4 last season and were on the bubble. We have a couple of RPI stinkers, including a loss to #141 Belmont and #265 Youngstown State at home. At our current trajectory, I don't think the make the NCAAs. Even if we do, does anyone think we have the pitching to go on the road and beat a #1 seed at their place?

That being said, the season is young, so anything is on the table - from hosting to not even sniffing the bubble.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me, and possibly only me, success this year is winning a regional and advancing to a super regional.

suc·cess
səkˈses/
noun
  1. the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
I was going to go zen on this answer and talk about the journey. But that is not what the word success means. It is about accomplishment. This team is a tremendous disappointment to me in two areas so far:

1st in fielding. We could have swept UNC and kept Auburn a lot closer without errors and with better plays like Justus and Pabst made all last year. The catcher, short stop, first base and possibly outfield are degraded from last year defensively.

2nd in pitching. King and Gooden not being able to throw strikes. Parr and English hurt I understand more.

This doesn't mean I won't try and enjoy the victories (the journey) as they happen. It's just that I'm damn tired of having to claw our way into the NCAAs rather than hosting.

Maybe next year.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
My suspicion is that we would not have signed English or Hughes if they had been physically sound coming out of high school. Let's pe they both get back to where they were in high school.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
To me, and possibly only me, success this year is winning a regional and advancing to a super regional.

suc·cess
səkˈses/
noun
  1. the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
I was going to go zen on this answer and talk about the journey. But that is not what the word success means. It is about accomplishment. This team is a tremendous disappointment to me in two areas so far:

1st in fielding. We could have swept UNC and kept Auburn a lot closer without errors and with better plays like Justus and Pabst made all last year. The catcher, short stop, first base and possibly outfield are degraded from last year defensively.

2nd in pitching. King and Gooden not being able to throw strikes. Parr and English hurt I understand more.

This doesn't mean I won't try and enjoy the victories (the journey) as they happen. It's just that I'm damn tired of having to claw our way into the NCAAs rather than hosting.

Maybe next year.
@GTNavyNuke Hope your trip is treating you well.

Re: The journey and success. I'll go zen with you. I believe you said as much; but they aren't mutually exclusive, are they? Truly enjoying the journey is possible whether the team ultimately meets your definition of success or not, right? This touches on something I've observed about "fans"... we often hedge our emotional bets, so to speak. It is very difficult to enjoy a mid-season win when your head is full of a previous loss (or three) and/or you fear future disappointment (i.e. no success post-season). My goal is to break this pattern. I do like the journey very very much!!

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think making the Tournament is the goal this year. We will have to really improve to host a regional. I would love to see our starting pitchers improve over the course of the year. We are so young and inexperienced in the rotation. We have a chance to have a really solid rotation next year with Curry, Hughes, Shadday, Ben S and English if they can stay healthy. I thought the starters pitched well for the most part against UNC. If Hughes can figured out control, he will be special cause he has the stuff. It will be interesting to see if Bailey, Craport and Kel will return next year. The team could be loaded next year. Peurifoy isnt a real loss imo.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
This year will be a success to me if we just make the tournament and are able to keep the same rotation for the rest of the year. If we make the tournament, then anything can happen. I hate to say this and think this so early in the season, but I really believe that next year will be a really good year if our rotation remains the same and 2/3 of Craport, Johnson, and Bailey return. Our recruiting class also looks loaded again next year and the new talent will be better than the outgoing players imo (not a knock on our seniors, just a nod towards the incoming freshmen).