Defensive Stat of the Day

Deleted member 2897

Nice, but to me, points given up per game is the bottom-line statistic for me.

Our defense is giving up 23.6 points per game (22.2 if you exclude CPJs stupid 4th down and 7 attempt from our own 25). That puts us around #50. That masks the fact that because of our offense, our opposition doesn't get as many possessions as most teams. I'm sure its pretty poor...largely because of USF and Clemson. We'll have a difficult time winning games if we're giving up much more than 20-25 points in my opinion.

(I calculated this by taking the total points and excluding the 2 KO returns by USF and Clemson's fumble recovery TD.)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Our defense is giving up 23.6 points per game (22.2 if you exclude CPJs stupid 4th down and 7 attempt from our own 25). That puts us around #50. That masks the fact that because of our offense, our opposition doesn't get as many possessions as most teams. I'm sure its pretty poor...largely because of USF and Clemson. We'll have a difficult time winning games if we're giving up much more than 20-25 points in my opinion.

(I calculated this by taking the total points and excluding the 2 KO returns by USF and Clemson's fumble recovery TD.)

Im going to go out on a limb and suggest that most teams have trouble winning games when they give up 3 or more touchdowns.

Deleted member 2897

Im going to go out on a limb and suggest that most teams have trouble winning games when they give up 3 or more touchdowns.

I think average is high 20s. But we can’t be average due to lower number of possessions. If we give up 28 points (for example) we won’t finish 0.500 like most teams would.

slugboy

Staff member
I think average is high 20s. But we can’t be average due to lower number of possessions. If we give up 28 points (for example) we won’t finish 0.500 like most teams would.

Median is 25.2 ppg, and FSU is one of the median teams.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28/p2
The average should be around there too.
We’re number 83 on the chart, and in about the bottom third, and below average, giving up 27.8 ppg.
We have the #38 scoring offense at 36.4 ppg.
BG, USF, and Alcorn are shifting both stats in our favor, but that’s the same for most schools right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Median is 25.2 ppg, and FSU is one of the median teams.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28/p2
The average should be around there too.
We’re number 83 on the chart, and in about the bottom third, and below average, giving up 27.8 ppg.
We have the #38 scoring offense at 36.4 ppg.
BG, USF, and Alcorn are shifting both stats in our favor, but that’s the same for most schools right now.

Well like I said, that’s even worse than it appears as our opponents get fewer possessions. But it’s also inflated because 3 touchdowns were not when the defense was on the field...so I guess it all evens out. Makes sense too - we scored a reasonable amount of points against Clemson and USF but you’re rarely going to win giving up 49.

slugboy

Staff member
Well like I said, that’s even worse than it appears as our opponents get fewer possessions. But it’s also inflated because 3 touchdowns were not when the defense was on the field...so I guess it all evens out. Makes sense too - we scored a reasonable amount of points against Clemson and USF but you’re rarely going to win giving up 49.

I have to roll my eyes a bit at what I said. USF shifts the offensive stats in our favor, but not the defensive stats. I guess sometimes the typing gets ahead of things.

The Pitt game is the one I’d want back the most. We underestimated USF, but could have won. We just flat out laid an egg against Pitt.