Dear Coach Collins and Todd Stansbury

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot of speculation that Collins will run the D next year and Thacker will go back to linebacker coach. If that is true, I am good with that. I don't think we could hire a defensive coordinator that has a better resume than Collins had as a defensive coordinator before taking over Tulane. Not ideal, but that type of setup did treat us pretty well under CPJ.
Heres the thing — PJ had already shown he grasped game preparation and game management. He also had been a HC and his own coordinator for nearly 11 years (he had an OC, not just in name, the first couple of games of his coaching tenure, until he decided he wanted to take that over - not even a third of the way through his first season as a head coach at age 40).
Collins has yet to show the grasp of game management that would make me feel comfortable with him taking on such another sizable gameday responsibility.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
At this point, 90% of our fanbase know how bad next year will most likely be. The ATL media know. A lot of players and recruits know - some who are jumping ship. And, even though he seems out of touch sometimes, I believe CGC knows next year will be complete debacle without a miracle of some sort. Only TStan may truly believe something miraculous will occur in the 4th year of this "experiment".

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but if we can spend half a season with him as HC/DC and he can't get it done, then there's no remaining excuses to get him gone.
I think we'd have about 4 million excuses to trudge on to the end of the season, but they might not be enough.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
FIFY

He does have a good track record as DC, but it's confounding why he couldn't fix some of Thacker's problems - especially not getting the signals in on time and allowing such horrid play out of the defensive backfield even though it's supposed to be his forte. I know he has a good track record, but something seems off. I just can't imagine him getting it together when he can't even manage the clock.
He can't do it all--which worries me if tries to be Head C and DC.
btw-O'leary was a fine DC but had pretty bad defenses as HC.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He can't do it all--which worries me if tries to be Head C and DC.
btw-O'leary was a fine DC but had pretty bad defenses as HC.
Nobody cares what I think, but what would make me feel better about next season would be to simply hire a DC to replace Thacker. If we spent all that money on an OC (and I think we got us a good one), why wouldn't we spend a little more on a DC to try to fix the defense? I mean, if TStan is going to back Collins, why doesn't he go all in?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
At this point, 90% of our fanbase know how bad next year will most likely be. The ATL media know. A lot of players and recruits know - some who are jumping ship. And, even though he seems out of touch sometimes, I believe CGC knows next year will be complete debacle without a miracle of some sort. Only TStan may truly believe something miraculous will occur in the 4th year of this "experiment"m

Speaking of recruiting...

From the AJC:
"Without Willis and Kellman, Tech’s class fell from 23rd nationally (247Sports Composite), higher than coach Geoff Collins’ 2020 class featuring running back Jahmyr Gibbs and quarterback Jeff Sims, to 34th. Tech’s class is now at 16 players."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Nobody cares what I think, but what would make me feel better about next season would be to simply hire a DC to replace Thacker. If we spent all that money on an OC (and I think we got us a good one), why wouldn't we spend a little more on a DC to try to fix the defense? I mean, if TStan is going to back Collins, why doesn't he go all in?
Surely they are working behind the scenes.

But like never telling anything about injuries , we dont want to tip off our moves.
IF gt is looking for a dc, well--- if the world knew that they would lock up the children.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of recruiting...

From the AJC:
"Without Willis and Kellman, Tech’s class fell from 23rd nationally (247Sports Composite), higher than coach Geoff Collins’ 2020 class featuring running back Jahmyr Gibbs and quarterback Jeff Sims, to 34th. Tech’s class is now at 16 players."
But our AD kept CGC because he could hold the recruiting class together

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Heres the thing — PJ had already shown he grasped game preparation and game management. He also had been a HC and his own coordinator for nearly 11 years (he had an OC, not just in name, the first couple of games of his coaching tenure, until he decided he wanted to take that over - not even a third of the way through his first season as a head coach at age 40).
Collins has yet to show the grasp of game management that would make me feel comfortable with him taking on such another sizable gameday responsibility.
And Bobby Dodd sat at a card table during games. What was his game managment skill and what is your point? Johnson had never coached in a P5 program, even as an assistant, before he came to Tech. And his 54-54 FBS record over his last nine years after he ran out of Gailey's recruits is hardly the Gold standard. And if he was so wonderful, why are all but one of the OL he recruited not contributing? Why has a true Freshman, a second year Freshman and a walk-on beaten them out, when OL is our offensive weakness? The Paul Johnson myth is alive and well on GT Swarm.