DABO on Revenue Sharing and NIL--Clemson Short on NIL?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
In the ON3 article below Swinney indicates Clemson is having difficulty keeping up on NIL money and hoping for approval of the Revenue Sharing plan in order to help level the playing field. I guess we are not alone in being concerned about the ability to keep up in NIL against some of the so-called "Big Boys". I was just surprised to see his comments on NIL since Clemson wants to join the B1G or SEC where the NIL competition will likely be greater than in the ACC.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
NIL as a concept to allow individual players to profit from their own personal brands is a good idea. NIL the way it’s being used as a payroll system for the entire roster is dumb and not sustainable. The big money folks at large programs are soon going to realize that the 3rd string, 4-star DE who will transfer 3 times during his career is simply not worth the $250k they’re paying him. Especially when they’re having to fork over cash to pay for a fired coach’s $100M buyout.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
NIL as a concept to allow individual players to profit from their own personal brands is a good idea. NIL the way it’s being used as a payroll system for the entire roster is dumb and not sustainable. The big money folks at large programs are soon going to realize that the 3rd string, 4-star DE who will transfer 3 times during his career is simply not worth the $250k they’re paying him. Especially when they’re having to fork over cash to pay for a fired coach’s $100M buyout.
We can only hope. So it seems NIL is the disruptive innovation no one deeply considered prior to its arrival. If that’s the case, then it should be corrected soon. If not, it will kill CFB as we know it and move it to a completely new cost/benefit curve. That move will be chaotic, finally settling on the new curve all can understand. We may already have entered that process.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This seems a good spot to put this.
Not the first or last time we are going to see this

UNLV's (3-0) starting QB has announced he is going to redshirt and enter the portal due to not receiving certain 'commitments' he was promised

I don't think NIL (which is really pay to play rather than true NIL) is just going to further separate the top 10-12 programs from everyone else. There are only a handful of schools that can raise the funds consistently to make the payments kids are now expecting. For all the b*tching over media money, that is not really what is the primary driver of revenue for the big programs. It is all the revenue they raise from alumni/fans. You have a handful of programs that can raise 50, 75M more in revenue than everyone else from their fanbase. That is why switching conferences does not improve the product on the field - look at the results of programs that have moved up, almost universally they lose more in their new conference than their old one. For many schools that move conferences they have more revenue compared to their previous conference, but their revenue relative to their conference peers is actually a larger deficit.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I work with a gentleman who is the son of a major Clemson donor. He told me several years ago that it was untenable for Clemson to keep spending the way they have been spending. They went all in to build the program into a NC contender knowing that they would likely be unable to sustain it long term. As with most fanbases, there is a major disconnect between the regular fans and the donors, but not in the way it manifests at most schools. The donors at Clemson are (mostly) content to let the AD and Dabo run things and just help provide revenue. Their belief is that with the finite amount of cash infusions they can realistically make, a coach that can recruit and develop like Dabo has done so far is their best bet. The people in the seats want them to spend like Bama and buy talent from the portal. This is a major reason why Dabo's NIL stance, though unpopular in the media and with the general fanbase, hasn't turned any heat on him from the donors.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I work with a gentleman who is the son of a major Clemson donor. He told me several years ago that it was untenable for Clemson to keep spending the way they have been spending.
Interesting. wonder who the AD was doing all that sending and building.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
In the ON3 article below Swinney indicates Clemson is having difficulty keeping up on NIL money and hoping for approval of the Revenue Sharing plan in order to help level the playing field. I guess we are not alone in being concerned about the ability to keep up in NIL against some of the so-called "Big Boys". I was just surprised to see his comments on NIL since Clemson wants to join the B1G or SEC where the NIL competition will likely be greater than in the ACC.

They earn way more money in those conferences making nil a non issue.

Its about keeping up with the teams in the big boy conferences

The reality is the acc is a second tier conference

Gt. Nc st. Wake. Unc. Va tech. Uva. Smu. Cal. Stanford. Syracuse. Bc. Louisville Are all equivalent to vandy. Miss st. South carolina and Kentucky; the sec has 3-4 teams like that and the majority of the acc is like that.

Its a weak conference that eventually; if not near term long term when the conf partnership agreement subsides; will get broken up and parsed of. It may be 8 years. But it will happen.