Crowd Noise vs Miami

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On TV you could tell the crowd was yelling but it sounded oddly muted. I wondered if it had to do with the sound booth blocking out ambient noise or something. I swear when an SEC game is broadcast they hang a mic outside the booth to pick up the noise. On "Yellow! Jacket!" yell it took me a few seconds to actually hear the words. I inferred the cheer more by the cadence than actually hearing the words.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm in the upper West. The sound is much louder when I have sat with my buddy in the lower West. It's a totally different experience.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
We ended up going to a sports bar in downtown Boise, the sound was on another game, but the stadium "looked" good on TV.
IMO, the white out showed very well. When I watched the replay with sound the Yellow Jackets cheer stood out.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely much louder in person than on TV. I have sat in lower east for many years and it was up there along with a couple of other night games as the loudest I have been to. Especially towards the very end of the game.

This was the first time I've sat up behind the band, upper deck section 216. The noise does not carry well up there that's for sure. We could barely hear the band. It was weird, the place was obviously ROCKING but we couldn't hear it up where we were. I could tell that the players on the field could definitely hear the crowd, which is great.
I was in 216 centered on the goal posts. :)

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
The wife said it was the loudest she could remember hearing BDS get. I was busy contributing to the noise. YELLOW!!!!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... on a side note we need to figure out how to keep our student section quiet when "we" have the ball on the north end!
Just saying

This ^^^ I was saying the same during the game. SD was waving his hands down to try and quite the crowd just before the 8 yd TD run.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember being on the field helping out with marketing stuff and guarding "Big Buzz", on the field it is a lot louder than in the stands. We don't have a huge stadium but the seats are close, even the upper East and West stands are a lot closer than most stadiums.

I was in the upper West for the first time and while the view was fine it did feel a bit muted, not nearly as loud as when I have sat in other parts of the stadium. Have not tried Upper North yet....

On the note about crowd noise with the offense, I can't remember if was the band or the PA but something got the crowd cheering. I guess we need a player video saying "Shhhhhhh"

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Haven't had a chance to watch the game yet. My baseball team was playing Saturday night (facing a big lefty who's going to Georgia). One of my players wasn't with us because he was at the Tech game for an official visit for baseball. It was his first time on campus at Tech and he came away very impressed. I asked him how he enjoyed the trip and he said, "It was AWESOME, Coach! The stadium got pretty loud for the game."

Impressed him enough that when Coach Hall calls him this week with his official offer, I think he's going to commit to the Jackets!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am sitting in Upper North this year because my brother settled on it as the best view of the offense developing. Anyway, there were plenty of signs of how loud it gets even though it doesn't resonate as well to us in that area. Basically, if you watch the way Kaaya had to do his check downs and every now and again the snaps then you could see the Miami players showing signs that crowd noise was impacting them. Opposing teams do routinely speak about the noise at Bobby Dodd.

One player after the game did point out that if they do their part and get these games to be big ones then the fans respond. He was willing to look at it as more a reward for what the team is doing. Now, I do wish the fans would put 100% effort into making noise against every opponent no matter what time the game starts or who the opponent is or what the teams record is and student sections would get packed in to the gills. But the reality is that basically no teams fanbase shows that kind of "fanatic" behavior game in and game out. People are fickle in their effort. I am tempted to say "it is what it is."