CPJ weekly press conference audio

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A few notes for those who can't listen

Triple the missed assignments we've ever had.... Our guys got rattled.... We got 'em to line up the way we wanted, but we didn't play (talking about their defense and our offense, indicating it wasn't their scheme that was the problem).... Burden, Summers, Trey Braun, played okay....You can have the best plan in the world, but if you can't do it, it's a bad plan.... 70 plus missed assignments. ... Mikel Lands- Davis has a chance to play. He's on the varsity. We'll see.... Jalen Johnson? Probably not but could happen... Notre Dame game day experience frazzled 'em.... We are accustomed to it not being that way. (Punting so much) Skov? Runs hard. Blinders. Not getting the production from that position. He needs to keep his eyes open. Gets the tough yards but there is more to it than that. Needs to keep his eyes open and cut for bigger gains.... In spots, we played okay defensively. Okay. But we gave up big plays.... What caused Justin to call so many timeouts? Blitz, and we did a poor job getting ready for it. Justin knew about the blitzes, but the guys blocking sure didn't know.... Last year's Duke game pretty good parallel with Saturday. They beat us more than the score indicated....Best Duke defense this year...Cash, Edwards the safety. #93. They play good team defense...On JTs fumble two guys blocked the wrong guy. But he still needs to hold on to it...AJ Gray play more? Trying to bring him as fast as we can.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Thanks for the notes. Perhaps LongestDay can hook us up with some vines to see some missed assignments. CPJ is a master at mid-game adjustments but he never seemed to do anything different this game. It really makes you think there may be some truth to having so many missed assignments. If what he was calling should work if executed properly against that defense then there really is no reason he should've called a different game.

Declinometer

Banned
A few notes for those who can't listen

Triple the missed assignments we've ever had.... Our guys got rattled.... We got 'em to line up the way we wanted, but we didn't play (talking about their defense and our offense, indicating it wasn't their scheme that was the problem).... Burden, Summers, Trey Braun, played okay....You can have the best plan in the world, but if you can't do it, it's a bad plan.... 70 plus missed assignments. ... Mikel Lands- Davis has a chance to play. He's on the varsity. We'll see.... Jalen Johnson? Probably not but could happen... Notre Dame game day experience frazzled 'em.... We are accustomed to it not being that way. (Punting so much) Skov? Runs hard. Blinders. Not getting the production from that position. He needs to keep his eyes open. Gets the tough yards but there is more to it than that. Needs to keep his eyes open and cut for bigger gains.... In spots, we played okay defensively. Okay. But we gave up big plays.... What caused Justin to call so many timeouts? Blitz, and we did a poor job getting ready for it. Justin knew about the blitzes, but the guys blocking sure didn't know.... Last year's Duke game pretty good parallel with Saturday. They beat us more than the score indicated....Best Duke defense this year...Cash, Edwards the safety. #93. They play good team defense...On JTs fumble two guys blocked the wrong guy. But he still needs to hold on to it...AJ Gray play more? Trying to bring him as fast as we can.

I really love PJ as our coach but I would like him to take a smidgen of ownership every once and a while.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really love PJ as our coach but I would like him to take a smidgen of ownership every once and a while.

Haven't heard the show, but I would imagine he is not shocked that we looked rough out there. He has tried to prepare fans for the fact that we are so inexperienced at some positions.

As far as play calling, when you have no rhythm overall, its not like you can just call a new play, flip a switch, and get rolling. Things snowball. Multiple issues beyond playcalling.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Declinometer, he didn't exactly emphasize it, but he did say more than once that he and the others coaches didn't prepare the team well and need to do better.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
He mentioned it after the game and again today -- this team has a lot of young players and you can't just flip the switch for them to be experienced.

When you look at the seniors skill guys last year -- Bostic, Hill, Perkins, Smelter, Waller, Laskey, Days, et al -- you could argue that experience made up for any talent deficiencies. I believe that the talent level up and down the roster is improved, but we're talking about a lot of guys just a few games into their college careers.

I know patience is a four-letter word for most football fans, but that's what CPJ is preaching. I'd fully expect that the team will improve over the course of the season and be really strong next season. There's no reason that the team can't compete for division title and finish in the top 25, but hopefully expectations can be more in line with reality this year.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
My Dad was 1 of the guys who were fully off the CPJ train before last season. I joined this page and read what all of you guys had to say and I talked him into giving it 1 more season of optimism that a new QB and alot of seniors would definitely help alot. One of his main talking points was in the losses CPJ not taking enough ownership when he may have not had his best day. Even if you don't really feel that way... sometimes just saying it takes some burden off the players shoulders. Also the sideline demeanor when he feels the kids made a mistake. He played football for a very long time and just thought there might be a better way of going about it. He still feels this way but it's just kind of an after thought now. Not a heated point of discussion like it used to be.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tulane laid down And was not coached up so guys saw no poeer 5 + speed till it hit them in the mouth.
Wonder if more counter early would have been better. Also running to short side with trips to wide side ( no aback) AND safety clearly on short side will be a new standard play?

Humility is a clear " I screwed up too," it is not if we coached up players and they run them perfectly we do fine.
I think he really knows and means WE just not a great speaker when ticked off. I will not hang on word gotcha.

I think he grades himself as well as team.
We are right where we deserve and need to be. Finish at strong.